AutoSum odd behaviour when summing some rows & columns

Ron Wolpa

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Recently I replaced a hard disk and installed Office 2016 [ 16.0.4390.1000 ] 64 bits on a brand new disk.
The spreadsheet I have the problem with AutoSum was created on the Office installed in the other disk ( I can´t remember the version ).
I never had trouble with AutoSum , it used to work as I was used to ; but as I opened the spreadsheet with the " new " Excel to update it , I realize that
I could not AutoSum some rows nor some columns [ it happens with some rows & columns , not all of them on spreadsheet ] without occurring what it seems to me an unwanted circular reference.
Enclosed uploaded an image showing what I mean.
What's wrong ?
Thank you for your attention.

Attachments

• SPREAD_SHEET_ISSUE.jpg
    SPREAD_SHEET_ISSUE.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
The top left formula looks like it is in G5, hence the circular reference. It also looks as though you may have merged cells in there, which could be the cause.

Upvote 0
It is not clear from the screen capture what is expected but it appears to be working correctly.

Standard behaviour for autosum (assuming that you mean the formula is being generated by pressing Alt = ) is to the closest continuous range of numeric values above the formula cell, if there are no numeric values above the formula cell then it will look to the left instead.

Any non-numeric values (including empty cells) between the formula cell and the first continuous range of numeric values will be included in the formula range.

If there are no numeric values found in either of those places then the formula range will be left empty.

If you select multiple cells and press Alt = to apply autosum to all of them then the first cell in the range will follow the behaviour as above, with the rest showing a rolling total using the same number of cells (the same as if you enter one formula with relative references, then drag it to the other cells with the fill handle).

Upvote 0
I never employ ALT , just drag to select the range , row or column , then apply AutoSum and the sum is done.
I managed to solve it simply by chance when I saved when the formula sum (number 1..., number 2) came up (?)

Definitely there is something different with this version of Office 2016:
I don't manage to make it work a simple sum , this time I replicated the sum of a column in a new created test spreadsheet.
The result of this formula , =B7+B14+B18+B24+B31 , placed into the cell B36 is "#VALUE" error.
AutoSum results in =SUM( number 1 , number 2 ).????

Upvote 0
You will see =SUM( number 1 , number 2 ) if AutoSum can't work out what you are trying to sum. If you're getting an error using + then at least one of your cells contains something that is not numeric.

Upvote 0
Yes , you're right ,something not numeric such as 23,45 instead 23.45.
A bloody comma makes all the difference ! Replaced by a dot and now all is fine.
Thank you !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back