Average of the first 5 populated cells in Column A?

rockford

I have cell values AND empty cells in column A that could be anywhere within column A (column range from A1 to around A1000 - but maximum range can change) but the cell placements and the column range changes often, and so I would just need a formula or vba code for the: "Average of the first 5 populated cells in column A".

I had a look as AverageIF, CountA, OFFSET, but just cannot work out how it would be possible.

If someone could help I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Too easy.
Code:
Sub Macro1()
c = 0
i = 2 [COLOR=#008000]'The loop begins in cell A2 because I assumed you have headers.  If A1 is part of your dataset and not a header, then change this 2 into a 1.[/COLOR]
output = 0
Do Until c = 5
    If Range("A" & i).Value <> "" Then
    output = output + Range("A" & i).Value
    c = c + 1
    End If
i = i + 1
Loop
Range("B2").Value = output / 5 [COLOR=#008000]'output is placed into B2 so change B2 to whatever cell you want the average to go into.[/COLOR]
End Sub

What if there is no Count of 5 available? Sometimes there's not more than 5 populated fields available, sometimes just 4, or 3 etc. - if in these cases would just need to work out the average of the 4, or average of the 3 etc.

I just tried the above code when there is only 4 populated fields, but getting VB error "Run Time error 1004 Application defined or object defined error"

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
You can use this sub routine in a button.
Code:
Sub Macro1() 
c = 0 
i = 2 [COLOR=#008000]'The loop begins in cell A2 because I assumed you have headers.  If A1 is part of your dataset and not a header, then change this 2 into a 1.[/COLOR] 
output = 0 
Do Until c = 5 or i = 1000000     
c = c + 1     
End If 
i = i + 1 
Loop Range("B2").Value = output / c [COLOR=#008000]'output is placed into B2 so change B2 to whatever cell you want the average to go into.[/COLOR] 
End Sub

But I would advise using this function because you can just type the function name into a cell and it will run the code.
For example: In cell B2, type =avgTop5Macro()
Or you can change the name of the macro to something you like.

Code:
Function [COLOR=#ff8c00]avgTop5Macro()[/COLOR] 
c = 0 
i = 2 
output = 0 
Do Until c = 5 or i = 1000000     
c = c + 1     
End If 
i = i + 1 
Loop 
[COLOR=#ff8c00]avgTop5Macro[/COLOR] = output / c 
End Function

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well what that code does is find the first 5 rows that are not blank and get the average of them. If there is less then 5 rows, then it will continue to search the column all the way down to A1000000. I'm sure that the code runs fast even though it has to run a loop all the way into the 1000000 mark. But I know how we can reduce the time it takes to process.

If you can guarantee that column B will never have a blank in between two populated rows, for example:
AB
5data
32data

<tbody>
</tbody>
So if you can guarantee that that will never happen and that there will always be a value in the B cell, then you should use this code instead. That way it saves processing time.
Code:
Function avgTop5Macro()  
c = 0  
i = 2  
output = 0  
Do Until c = 5 or [COLOR=#ff0000]Range("B" & i).Value = ""[/COLOR]     
c = c + 1      
End If  
i = i + 1  
Loop  
avgTop5Macro = output / c  
End Function
The only difference is what I highlighted in Red

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenwydo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back