Average re-order date per customer

gazmoz17

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Is this possible in excel power query or do I need to learn Power BI?

I have an invoice report I want to use this to work out the average order frequency customer) e.g. 27 days.

Then based on diff between their last order date and todays date.....are they over due to order. Filter the query to show who overdue to order and th expected date they should have ordered.

Any help much appreciated.

1705066293015.png

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
For non of the customers I can find the last order date (shown in your picture) in the dataset

Upvote 0
Hi JEC,

Sorry I used an addin to randomise my data (confidential) in the data table in the first sheet. But the structure is the same as my actual data.

The picture I orig screen grabbed is just my ideal output or something similar. So it prob doesnt directly link to that customers last order date in the data table in tab 1. I just made up some “last
Order dates” in that picture.

Was just wondering if this type of output was possible in excel power query or can this type of thing only be done in power BI?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes it is possible in power query ofcourse

Upvote 0
Ok thanks. So I know how to get the days difference between 2 date fields in 2 different columns in power query. But I don’t know how to get days between dates in the same column and per customer. And Im pretty sure Ive returned latest date in power query before but I dont know how to put all of it together, im still pretty new to power query. Think I could get earliest and latest date of order per customer but I dont know to get diff between each sequential order for same customer to then take an average from.

Upvote 0
with an excel data table named Table1, having a column DATE and a column COMPANY (other columns names don't matter), try:

Power Query:
let
    Source = Table.Buffer(Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table.SelectColumns(Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content], {"DATE", "COMPANY"}),{{"DATE", type date}})),
    Avg = "Average days between orders",
    fxAvg = each Record.Field(_, Avg),
    today = Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),
    tbl1 = Table.Group(Source, "COMPANY", {Avg, each let 
                min = List.Min([DATE]),max = List.Max([DATE]), n = Table.RowCount(_)
            in {Number.RoundUp(Duration.Days(max-min)/(n-1)), max}}),
    lst =   {
                {"Last Order", each fxAvg(_){1}},
                {"Expected Order Date", each try Date.AddDays([Last Order], fxAvg(_){0} ) otherwise Date.From(99999)},
                {"Deficit", each Duration.Days([Expected Order Date] - today)}
            },
    tbl2 = List.Accumulate(lst, tbl1, (s,c)=> Table.AddColumn(s,c{0},c{1})),
    tbl3 = Table.SelectRows(tbl2, each [Deficit] < 0),
    tbl4 = Table.TransformColumns(tbl3, {Avg, each _{0}}),
    tbl5 = Table.Sort(tbl4,"Deficit"),
    Result = Table.RenameColumns(tbl5, {"Deficit", "Deficit as of " & Text.From(today)})
in
    Result

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi JGordon 11, only been able to look at this now as didnt take my laptop home with me over the weekend.

Absoloutely brilliant thank you 👍😎. Dont want to be lazy so Im dissecting the steps so I can maybe use the logic down the line for otehr things. Really appreciate your time there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back