Averaging Percentages

Debbie Sap

Thanks for all the expert help you provide:

How do you go about averaging % please

For example

Month 1 (88%)
Month (17%)
Month 3 94%

At the bottom of the screen, excel is calculating the average to be (4%) but if I take the

Total Revenue Diff of $68,748 / 2,577,608 and calculate the % in the normal way it is showing it as a positive 3%

Thank

Ok I think, I need to remove myself from this forum. Please advise how to do it.

If my original thought of $68,748/2,577,608 was correct, then why am I being shown examples of averaging. I know you not trying to spoon feed. But I was asking if I was correct in m original thought.

Thanks to everyone for the time and patience. I appreciate your kindness & help. Be happy.
Debbie, I also hope you stay on the forum. You must remember that everyone here is a volunteer and offers suggestions in good faith, but we don't know the full details of what you have on your sheet or exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Forum members are just trying to point out that a common mistake is to directly average existing percentages (or other averages).

Let me see if I can spell it out with a simple example to demonstrate the point.

The first 3 blue cells are the individual monthly expense percentage.
The lower blue cell averages those first three percentages.

However the correct overall expense percentage is obtained using the yellow "Total" cells.

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1RevenueExpensesExpense %
2Month 11,00010010.00%
3Month 25,0003006.00%
4Month 31,50021014.00%
610.00%
8Total7,5006108.13%
Example

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi To everyone who has been helping me :)

I am thankful for ALL the responses to me. Perhaps I was over sensitive in that I felt that I was the one being told that I was not grasping things!
I do appreciate very much and agree that with limited information that is provided there can be a variety of methods to obtain the correct answer in questions like this. I also know that people are taking their time and expertise to respond to me with nothing in return which I do appreciate.

I will work on the above examples and try and get greater understand as to WHY there is a variety of methods that can be applied.

In essence, we are trying to do per the above examples, except that we are comparing 2013 revenue against 2014. Therefore the same principal per above.

Again, I do appreciate ALL the responses. I felt was frustrating you all.

Appreciate you not simply dismissing my thread. Enjoy w/e

I

Upvote 0
Hi Debbie
I hope Peters example helps you get the desired result.
Peter has already mentioned that we are all here to help
I too, hope you remain with the Mr Excel family...(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back