Averaging times

SteveC

Board Regular
Hi
Averaging times. I have a column of racing times. The column to its right contains the average of the times starting from that line and every line above it. I was proud of myself for figuring out the formula to do it - until I realized that I was averaging it as if were a decimal number (158.4) instead of time (1:58.4) - One minute : fifty-eight seconds . and four fifths of a second. The last number (e.g. ".4")is from zero through 4 (or blank), and represents fifths of a second (Strange, but it's the way they do it.). The format (there is no choice) that it will have been previously input in and then automatically (by a button) copied to the "Times" column (DO) will be xxx.x . If it helps, I can have the DO and DP columns and their numbers formatted in any manner, if needed.

Is there a way to display an average on each line? Do the times have to be first put into the format of x:xx.x ? (-and if so, then how could I do that by formula or VBA?)
I would appreciate any help!

"Times" column: DO ... "Averages" column: DP ... Lines: 194 through 358
Here's what I *was* using on each line in DP:
=IF(OR($DO198="", $DO198>"*"),"",AVERAGE($DO$194:$DO198))

Exception: Certain times do not get included in any average. There is an asterisk after those (e.g. 202.1*). I was experimenting and found, to my surprise, that $DO194>"*" in my formula worked to find and exclude those times with asterisks. (Works for other characters, also.)

Thanks -SteveC

This was extensively edited on 10/5 09:50
This message was edited by SteveC on 2002-10-08 03:55

Aladin is one of the foremost conjurers of the most amazing Excel formulas. You are lucky your problem caught his fancy...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Mala,
Ah, then I was not far off when I addressed him as Wizard. Yes, it's amazing what he can do.
(He's paying me ten dollars (US) to write this. What's he paying you?) :LOL:

Aladin really deserves a rest from me. We were both obsessed with decimals for a week. The decimal issues were bothering him at work and I was dreaming of decimals and bothering all of my friends with math qestions. Kind of funny, actually.
Steve
This message was edited by SteveC on 2002-10-22 04:32

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rdeane

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back