Backspacing the first character in a number

jkalpus

Greetings. I have some longitude and latitude numbers I've imported from another file. They show up like this:

AND they are left-aligned!Ugh! Excel says they're "text", yet they show as GENERAL formatting. If I place my blinking insertion point BEFORE the minus sign and hit BACKSPACE, the number becomes correctly right-aligned. I've tried using Excel's TRIM and CLEAN function, as well as all the ASAP Utility tools all to no avail. What am I missing? How can I automate this process??

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
If you put this in an empty cell pointing at one of those numbers, what does it return?
Excel Formula:
=UNICODE(A2)

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff ... Oddly, Unicode returns a 45, a negative sign. Still, the number is left-aligned and NO left alignment forced by the Left Aligh tool. When I place the insertion point to the left of the negative sign, and press ENTER, the number magically snaps to the right. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Try selecting the column, click the Data tab - click Text to Columns - Delimited - Click Next and check that the delimiter boxes are all blank and click Finish.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back