Baseball data manipulation - moving imported web text into tables

fidelityfranchise

Hi, I am currently trying to import data from a website so that whenever I open up my spreadsheet it automatically updates my data to cut down on some of the time I spend importing each day.

I have an imported web query but the data does not populate into tables like it is in the website it imports as plain text. Right now I have the data drawing from the [import sheet] to a [pitchers sheet] that is easier for me to look at, but there is still a lot of unformated text that I need to get into data tables so I can run my conditional if formulas to manipulate and analyze.

I currently have the data linked from the import sheet to the pitchers sheet as follows:

Imported Data:Card Toggle 2:20 PM ET MIL @ CHC Weather
Time:2:20 PM ET
Home:Chicago Cubs Chicago Cubs
Away:Milwaukee Brewers Milwaukee Brewers @
Weather:0%1 PM0%2 PM0%3 PM0%4 PMENE ENE wind at 6 mph 48% humidity
Home P:J. Lester (L) $8.7K
Away P:W. Peralta (R) $6.6K
Home TeamHome PHome ThrowsHome SalaryAway TeamAway PAway ThrowsAway SalaryStadium

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need the Home Team to populate from the Home column, as a specific format, Chicago Cubs would be CHC. I believe I can do this with a conditional if? Same thing with the Milwaukee Brewers for the Away Team column, which would be MIL. The problem is that the team names change each day (obviously) and the lengths are not the same.

For Home P, Home Throws, and Home Salary, I need the data to pull from the Home P row and put the players name in the Home P column. I need the Home Thows to draw from the same cell, but pull the (L). Same with the Home Salary, i need the $8.7k from the same cell to read as $8700. This would be repeated for the Away P row and populate the same way in the Away columns. The difficult thing being that the length of characters in the names will change daily and not be consistent.

I have already used a formula in another section of the workbook: =1000*MID(D2,2,LEN(D2)-2) to draw the salary into a number format (where it says $8.7K next to home P), but with the import there is a lot more text in the cells, and the variance is much greater than before of all of the text being salaries.

Does anyone know if what I am trying to do is feasible? I know that I could manually input, but it changes daily and there are around 15 of these each day, so you can imagine that becomes tedious. I appreciate any help/input you guys have. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adiadidas

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back