Best SQL Book

Joolakker

Hi,

I'm trying to teach myself SQL and was wondering if anyone can recommend any good books for a beginner. I've used access for quite some time and recently got SQL server 2005 to practise on. All I need now is a good book with lots of exmples to show me the way!!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Access is actually a pretty good environment for learning SQL. You build a query and then go looking at the SQL to see how it panned out: later on, do it the other way round and see what you can produce.

Still, a good reference is useful. I bought Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days (SAMS Publishing; Stephens, Plew, Morgan & Perkins) and it's got lots of useful examples.

... And check out the links in this thread.

Denis

Upvote 0
I bought into this web based training for $30.00 per month. I have found it very good. It is also good for going back and re-listening for a refresher. I don't get to work on my Access to SQL Server project enough, so the refresher has been great.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Do you have any details of this web based training you can pass on to me as it sounds like something I'd like to join.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry. I meant to put in the web address, but missed. Try this http://www.vtc.com/products/sql2000prog.htm. Each lesson is from 5 to 8 minutes long, and there are enough lessons to keep you listening for more than 8 hours. There is a small video that is showing while the teacher is talking, so you can see what he is doing within SQL Server as he goes. Sometimes it happens so fast, you might have to rewind a little on the video. Nothing is downloaded to your computer, and you will have to have SQL Server 2000 to get full benefit from the training. Some of the early lessons, if you know Access quite well, you should just skip. I didn't, but wish I had.
Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Following on from Denis and Vic, there is a free online tutorial here:
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_intro.asp

Like Denis, I bought a book but mine was "Sams teach yourself SQL in 10 minutes" - very easy to read and follow. It provides a very good starting point.

Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back