Best way for me to automate reports

MrEbzz

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Hi, Looking to find the most efficient way to automate report cleaning.

I currently have a macro in place via excel that does this for me, however i have heard many good things about powerBI and powerQuery.

The steps from when the report arrives to when its sent off cleaned and accurate never change. Only the data that's being cleaned changes.

For example.

Delete all rows containing 123 in column A
Delete all rows containing test in column A
Change all data in column X to FALSE where = 0 and TRUE where = 1
Filter data dependent on Column D (status)
Allocate filtered data (ROWs) to newly created work book, with the corresponding tabs (sheets) for each Status. i.e. Status New = New_workbook > sheet 1 (Holds all rows containing status Closed)), Status Closed = Same "New_workbook" (that's already been created) sheet 2 (named: Closed, Holds all rows containing status Closed)

Can anyone think of a better method then a macro? - if this helps the raw report comes in via excel document.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Power Query can easily execute these steps, but it’s not the same approach as VBA. In doing so, it will create a new *table* of data in the same workbook as PQ. So either PQ has to be in the source workbook (I assume that won’t work given it seems you get sent a new one each day) or it needs to be in the destination workbook, the one that will contain the cleansed table of data (and PQ). Each time you refresh the PQ against the new data, the table will change. You can of course save with a new name if needed. If that’s not what you want, then VBA is the way to go

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back