Best way to create a weekly\monthly schedule

Benners

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am creating a spreadsheet that logs dog walks. Initially it was going to be saved monthly. Now I have been asked if it could be made to be selectable so walks can be booked in advance. I have a drop down cell that has the months and this would be used to run what ever code would refresh the sheets with the correct months data.

The workbook consists of 9 sheets, 1 is a database sheet with all the dogs names and owner info. When a dog is added to the list, it is also added to the other sheets tables (VBA) Another is a help sheet. The other sheets are the ones that have the weekly data inputted and are the same for every month, a sheet that displays monthly totals and an invoice sheet. The easy way would be to create\hide the sheets that don't correspond to the current month and have some sort of index sheet to access the others for advanced bookings. If I have the same sheets copied for for each month there will be over 60 sheets and I am sure there is a better way.

I would think that using some sort of database for this would be the best option. As it would only run on one PC, but the simplest would be a self contained sheet. I would be swinging towards SQLite for the DB. I have used it before (in small doses). I want the sheet to be as simple in operation as possible for the people using it, and, if it is copied to another computer for it to work without my involvement. This is were the database option would be a problem unless the driver installation and setup could be done with VBA.

The overall idea is, walks are logged either for the current month or in advance for future dates. The sheets named Week 1, 2 etc are refreshed every time a month is selected with data for that month. I am just looking for some ideas to make the sheet as fast as possible, there will be conditional formatting and as robust as possible. So if someone could point me to so reading material of throw some ideas my way, that would be most helpful.

Here is a link to the file. It contains macros
Thanks

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Would a Gannt chart not help? ... they are used by project managers to plan ahead and show who where and when often down to a weekly time scale. There are plenty of templates in excel you can try..

Upvote 0
Cheers. I have had a look at some different templates for Gannt charts but don't think they'll be suitable. I need to be able to split each day into morning and afternoon and input the mins walked. I have been looking at creating a monthly sheet with a bespoke calendar. and just hiding the columns that are not related to the current week number..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back