bloat from redundant named ranges?

merlin777

Office Version
  1. 2007
i have a large workbook i've been modifying for weeks and it has dozens of redundant named ranges.

2 questions:

would they slow the performance of the workbook and therefore better to remove them other than it just being a matter of tidiness?

if i need to remove them is there a way i can check they are definitely unused before i delete them?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I wouldn't have thought performance would be an issue, particularly if they are static. If they are dynamic named ranges there might be some calculation involved.

But, personally, I'd say it's better to get rid now than in six months when you're wondering what they were all for.

You should be able to use Find (Find and Select icon on the Ribbon). If you type the Named Range name into the Find box and select Find all, you'll get a list of where it is used or a message to say it's not found. Unfortunately, you'd have to do that sheet by sheet ... but you could knock up a macro to loop through all the sheets and check each named range on each one.

You can get a list of all the Named Ranges by going to the Formula ribbon, choosing "Use in Formula", Paste names, Paste List ... best to create a new sheet first as it could be quite long and might overwrite stuff if you're not careful.

Upvote 0
thanks for this. although they are big i only have a few sheets so that sounds great.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back