Booged down due to calculations

Hida Kisada

Office Version
  1. 2011
Platform
  1. Windows
Creating a file to display information that i am pulling from other reports i have downloaded into excel as a tab.

I pull this information primary through VLOOKUPS, SUBTOTAL, and SUMIFS formulas. That said, because of this. The updating of cells and tabs and the whole workbook is a timely process. I know i can cut this down by turning off calculations. However this doesn't help when the calculation is turned back on.

I am curious, if there is a way to turn off calculation. however turning it on for a single tab and not the workbook. or is there something else you know of that can help me here that i don't know of.

As these files - i make one for each month/period- are typically in the 40-65K KB range

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Welcome to the Board!

What you are describing (a ton of inter-related data) is really a relational database. While you may be able to use Excel for this, it is really not what it was designed for. So as your data gets really large, it can really bog down performance (as you are experiencing). Bottom line: you are probably using the wrong tool for the job!

A relational database program, like Microsoft Access or SQL, will work much better, as that is what these things are designed for.
If you are stuck using Excel, you may want to investigate using Power Query, which allows you to do database-type actions within Excel.
See: About Power Query in Excel - Microsoft Support.

There is also a whole forum here dedicated to those questions called Power Tools, that you can post Power Query questions in.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back