Brain Teasers

A couple of easy ones.... i guess

[FONT=&quot]A man wanted to enter an exclusive club but did not know the password that was required. He waited by the door and listened. A club member knocked on the door and the doorman said, "Twelve." The member replied, "Six" and was let in. A second member came to the door and the doorman said, "Six." The member replied, "Three" and was let in. The man thought he had heard enough and walked up to the door. The doorman said, "Ten" and the man replied, "Five". But he was not let in. What should he have said and why?[/FONT]

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Csandeepw%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Lucida Sans"; panose-1:2 11 6 2 3 5 4 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]You have to measure exactly 4 liters of water, but you only have a 3-liter bottle and a 5-liter bottle. How do you do it?[/FONT]

WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
SPILL SPILL
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
WET WET WET WET
I looked at this without my glasses ... from some distance and it looked like a 3-d "C".... I'm sure that I'm way off though :biggrin:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
<LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Csandeepw%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel=File-List><STYLE> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Lucida Sans"; panose-1:2 11 6 2 3 5 4 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE>[FONT=&quot]You have to measure exactly 4 liters of water, but you only have a 3-liter bottle and a 5-liter bottle. How do you do it?[/FONT]

Can we give the answer to this one yet ?
By the way, I think you also mean, you have a supply of water, and also something that you can pour water into to get rid of it, even it's just the ground.

Can we give the answer to this one yet ?
By the way, I think you also mean, you have a supply of water, and also something that you can pour water into to get rid of it, even it's just the ground.

Yup :biggrin:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input *******="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

[FONT=&quot]A man wanted to enter an exclusive club but did not know the password that was required. He waited by the door and listened. A club member knocked on the door and the doorman said, "Twelve." The member replied, "Six" and was let in. A second member came to the door and the doorman said, "Six." The member replied, "Three" and was let in. The man thought he had heard enough and walked up to the door. The doorman said, "Ten" and the man replied, "Five". But he was not let in. What should he have said and why?[/FONT]

Three, but I'm not saying why since I'm the first to reply to this one. Unlike the very first brain teaser, when I blurted out the answer.

I agree with "three" but I'll keep that quiet too!!

Three, but I'm not saying why since I'm the first to reply to this one. Unlike the very first brain teaser, when I blurted out the answer.
Ah I get it, but it took me about 5 minutes or so to figure it out. :biggrin:

I'm still trying to figure out the 2nd one and even google hasn't been any help at this point. :confused:

A man wanted to enter an exclusive club but did not know the password that was required. He waited by the door and listened. A club member knocked on the door and the doorman said, "Twelve." The member replied, "Six" and was let in. A second member came to the door and the doorman said, "Six." The member replied, "Three" and was let in. The man thought he had heard enough and walked up to the door. The doorman said, "Ten" and the man replied, "Five". But he was not let in. What should he have said and why?

definitely three, and if the doorman said three, the answer had to be five... ;)

You have to measure exactly 4 liters of water, but you only have a 3-liter bottle and a 5-liter bottle. How do you do it?
@schielrn : look at the formula below and "translate" it in handling the bottles...
= 3+ ((3+3)-5)

the answer for the brain teaser of tgthtrotih (the one with WET and SPILL) : i don't know :(

There are nine identical-looking balls, but one is either heavier or lighter than the other eight. How can you determine which is the odd ball and find out whether this ball is heavier or lighter than the others using only two weighings with a balance?

Fill up the 5 liter bottle. Use the 5 liter bottle to fill up the 3 liter bottle. What is left in the 5 liter bottle is 2 liters. Dump out the the 3 liter bottle and pour the 2 liters into the 3 liter bottle. Now fill up the 3 liter bottle. Use the 3 liter bottle to finish filling up the 3 liter bottle. As it will only take 1 liter to finish filling up the 3 liter bottle what will remain in the 5 liter bottle will be 4 liters.

My first thought was pull the plug as well. But...I do know that bailing out water with a bucket is likely to empty the tub quicker than the little 1" diameter drain hole.

Liken that to the story of the semi truck getting stuck under a bridge. All the town's engineer's couldn't figure a way to get the truck unstuck. Along comes a little 7-year old girl who simply offers..."let the air out the tires."

It was so appointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back