Breaking out names and email addresses that are many reply alls in one column, without losing reference point

AtariBaby

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
  4. Web
I have a spreadsheet that looks like this. I exported it from Outlook.

Col A Names | Col B email | Col C Subject

The idea was to see what contacts to keep and what to delete, with the name and subject line helping the human who makes that decision.

The problem is the list contains many cells with multiple names and email addresses. I have wracked my brains and asked a lot of excel people:

How can I break those multiple items, separated by semicolons into one per cell, but still have a reference point to the subject line? And how do I also do the Names cell so it’s synchronous with the broken out email cells?

Whether Excel formulas or 3rd party app or tool, I just really want to solve this problem I’m stuck on.

Thanks for being here and for reading this!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
So if you run the macro on sheet6 you get that output right ?
Unfortunately the rules don't allow that.
Can you leave only the first 5 data rows (down to row 6) of sheet 6.
Only use the delete key to hide data (in case there are unusual characters at end and beginning)
Test problem still exists on sample.
Put sample on Google drive or Dropbox etc make it available to anyone with the link and post the link here.
Alex it started working! i was testing various segments and everything was working, so I tried the entire thousands of rows and it worked! What the problem was before, I have no idea.

Is there any way for me to mark or highlight your formula as solution? I would love for others to be able to find this.

Upvote 0
I see you figured out the mark as solution bit ;).
Ideally the rows would be name, email, subject but i will gladly accept the columns in any order!
Re-ordering the column would be fairly simple if you still want that done. I found having a number for each subject and then a separate no for each item in a subject useful but I can remove them if you don't want them at all or just move them to the end.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back