CAGR on Excel - can the first year start negative

excelman444

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working on calculating CAGR on excel using RRI formula. When I try to compute the cell the #NUM! is appearing in the cell when the first term is <0. How can I make this work?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I am working on calculating CAGR on excel using RRI formula. When I try to compute the cell the #NUM! is appearing in the cell when the first term is <0. How can I make this work?
The first argument is the number of periods. It must be a positive.

Upvote 0
The first argument is the number of periods. It must be a positive.
what about when I do present value. Does that have to be positive, that’s where my issue is coming from as present value is below 0 (minus number) and it ends up being #num! for this scenario. ie rri(3,-0.3%,7%) I am trying to calculate net unit growth ????

Upvote 0
1) RRI can't take a negative period because you'd be discounting backwards, meaning your PV is being discounted, so the "FV" isn't the future value but the n-periods before your PV.
2) The PV can't be negative because you can't take even root of a negative number (if you understood the CARG formula).

The RRI formula isn't built to handle case 2). One way to handle that is as follows...

First, take the absolute value of the negative PV: |-0.3%| = 0.3%
Next, find the distance difference between your original PV and FV: 7% - (-0.3%) = 7.3%
Then, your new FV is the absolute value of the PV + the difference: 0.3% + 7.3% = 7.6%

=RRI(3,0.3%,7.6%)

Upvote 0
Thank you- would this be accurate though and would the converting of negatives need to be noted in footnote?

Upvote 0
That's up to you but the idea is to shift the negative PV to a positive PV while keeping the same distance.

-0.3% to 7% has a distance of 7.3%
0.3% to 7.6% has a distance of 7.3%

This is one of the methods to handle such cases, but not standardized.

I find the goal-seek in this article a lot neater...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back