Calculate a value based on reference data and conditions for Google Sheets

Chrizh

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

Thanks in advance for any help with this, really appreciate it.

I have a spreadsheet (see attached) which has a cross reference table of percentages. The percentages are modifiers to acceleration, top speed and handling statistics of a certain vehicle on certain tracks i.e. a Sports vehicle on an Off-Road track will have a 40% reduction to acceleration, 10% reduction to top-speed and 40% reduction to handling. The reference data for that example is shown in cells I5, J5, K5 as 60%, 90%, 60%.

I'm looking to have a formula which calculates the effect of the modifiers on user entered numbers. For example, the user selects vehicle and track types from drop down lists and then enters the values 400 acceleration, 400 top-speed and 200 handling. The formula would then put the calculated modified stats (240, 320 and 160 respectively) in to other cells.

I know the formula for calculating those individually would simply be the entered number multiplied by the modifier percentage. I'm just not sure how to wrap a formula around that which does all the clever look up and conditions!

Thanks for your time.

Untitled spreadsheet.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
2Track Type
3SportUrbanOff-RoadUniversal
4Vehicle TypeAccelerationTop SpeedHandlingAccelerationTop SpeedHandlingAccelerationTop SpeedHandlingAccelerationTop SpeedHandling
5Sport100%100%100%90%90%90%60%90%60%100%100%100%
6Urban100%100%90%110%110%110%80%80%80%100%100%100%
7Off-Road100%100%90%90%90%90%110%110%120%100%100%100%
8Universal100%100%100%100%100%100%100%100%100%100%100%100%
11AccelerationTop SpeedHandling
12Vehicle TypeTrack Type400400200Base Stats
13SportOff-Road240360120Modified Stats
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D13:F13D13=D12*I5
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B13List=$B$5:$B$8
C13List=$C$3:$N$3

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Ok, but not everything that works in Excel will work in Sheets.

Upvote 0
Select cell D14 and then click in the formula bar, then hit F2 to enter edit mode and then re-commit the formula by hitting Ctrl-Shift-Enter simultaneously…sometimes abbreviated CSE. You should see curly brackets inserted around the formulas in the formula bar, which means the formula is treated as an array formula. Does that result in an expected output? If so, drag the cell D14 across to populate E14:F14.

I had a look at the worksheet in Sheets and noticed that during the conversion, Sheets prefaced the formulas with ArrayFormula…which typically means that the formula needs to be entered in Excel with CSE.

Upvote 0
Select cell D14 and then click in the formula bar, then hit F2 to enter edit mode and then re-commit the formula by hitting Ctrl-Shift-Enter simultaneously…sometimes abbreviated CSE. You should see curly brackets inserted around the formulas in the formula bar, which means the formula is treated as an array formula. Does that result in an expected output? If so, drag the cell D14 across to populate E14:F14.

I had a look at the worksheet in Sheets and noticed that during the conversion, Sheets prefaced the formulas with ArrayFormula…which typically means that the formula needs to be entered in Excel with CSE.

This was indeed the problem. Thank you for your continued help, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I'm happy to help. I'm glad the mystery is now solved. You were right when you suspected the issue might have some to do with Excel 2019. Excel 365 natively handles array formulas without any special treatment, but earlier versions require entering array formulas with Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yap999

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back