Calculate hours across dates using separate "date cells"

Carlos5

Board Regular
Hello all,
I have searched for time calc threads but none seem to answer my question. I would like to calculate the difference in hours between two possibly, but not always different dates and military times. But I would like the date to be entered in it's own cell. so 4 cells total: Start date, start time, end date, end time. I realize it is end time - start time but how do i include the dates in the calc? Thanks for any help.
Carlos

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
You have to calculate using the entire date/time value for the starting and ending times. Date/times are floating point double data types. To see the decimal value for Now (at least at that moment):
?cdbl(now)

To see the decimal value of Date:
?cdbl(Date)
You cannot hope to get accurate calculations for elapsed time without the portion to the right of the decimal, which is the time portion of the date value (the date value being left of the decimal). Personally I see no point in separating date/time into columns. Anyone should be able to decipher the time from the entire value and separating them forces you to reconstruct the date/time in order to perform time span calculations.

Upvote 0
So are you saying that there is no way to "add" the contents of the two cells to come up with the correct decimal value and then do the required math to figure out the hours elapsed? Is there not some way of determining the date value and "attaching" it to the time value?
Thanks
You have to calculate using the entire date/time value for the starting and ending times. Date/times are floating point double data types. To see the decimal value for Now (at least at that moment):
?cdbl(now)

To see the decimal value of Date:
?cdbl(Date)
You cannot hope to get accurate calculations for elapsed time without the portion to the right of the decimal, which is the time portion of the date value (the date value being left of the decimal). Personally I see no point in separating date/time into columns. Anyone should be able to decipher the time from the entire value and separating them forces you to reconstruct the date/time in order to perform time span calculations.

Upvote 0
No, I'm not saying you can't add them together as in A1 + B1. Perhaps that could be as simple as that - provided the time portion relates to the same day I guess, but your data is not like that, correct? So if you add/concatenate 01/01/2022 and 04:00:00 PM you'd get 4PM on that date. However, if the second time part is on the next day (e.g. 01:00:00 AM) and you do this, you'll get a value that equates to 1AM on the first, not 1AM on 01/02/2022. The time part starts over again at zero each day, and that is your basic problem. If there is a way to calculate this with the data as you have it, I don't know of one, mainly because I'd never split it in the first place if it was going to be my only columns with time and date. I might hide the complete date time columns (in and out date/times), but only if I really needed to present it as separate columns. Most likely I'd just show 01/01/2022 06:00:00 PM as the start and 01/02/2022 02:00:00 AM and call that an 8 hour duration and not have any issues. If the boss complains I'd say "I can make it look different, but I absolutely need values like that somewhere on the sheet".

Upvote 0
No, I'm not saying you can't add them together as in A1 + B1. Perhaps that could be as simple as that - provided the time portion relates to the same day I guess, but your data is not like that, correct? So if you add/concatenate 01/01/2022 and 04:00:00 PM you'd get 4PM on that date. However, if the second time part is on the next day (e.g. 01:00:00 AM) and you do this, you'll get a value that equates to 1AM on the first, not 1AM on 01/02/2022. The time part starts over again at zero each day, and that is your basic problem. If there is a way to calculate this with the data as you have it, I don't know of one, mainly because I'd never split it in the first place if it was going to be my only columns with time and date. I might hide the complete date time columns (in and out date/times), but only if I really needed to present it as separate columns. Most likely I'd just show 01/01/2022 06:00:00 PM as the start and 01/02/2022 02:00:00 AM and call that an 8 hour duration and not have any issues. If the boss complains I'd say "I can make it look different, but I absolutely need values like that somewhere on the sheet".
Thank you for your time, hopefully someone else can help me with a solution. There seems to be a way to do it, I have seen it done elsewhere, I just can't figure it out.

Upvote 0
EDIT:
Arrr, got some calculation error. Just one sec...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Book1.xlsm
ABC
116STARTEND
2DATE8/9/20228/10/2022
3TIME15000700
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1A1= milhrs(B2,C2,B3,C3)

VBA Code:
Public Function milhrs(ByVal DateA As Date, ByVal DateB As Date, ByVal TimeA As Integer, ByVal TimeB As Integer) As Integer
   Dim dh As Integer: dh = (DateValue(DateB) - DateValue(DateA)) * 24
   Dim h As Integer: h = (TimeB - TimeA) / 100
   milhrs = dh + h
End Function

Assuming a Date or String formatted as date in the date cells (with the end date being "greater" then or same as the start date) and number values in the time cells.
Custom number format on the time cells => 0000

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Book1.xlsm
ABC
116STARTEND
2DATE8/9/20228/10/2022
3TIME15000700
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1A1= milhrs(B2,C2,B3,C3)

VBA Code:
Public Function milhrs(ByVal DateA As Date, ByVal DateB As Date, ByVal TimeA As Integer, ByVal TimeB As Integer) As Integer
   Dim dh As Integer: dh = (DateValue(DateB) - DateValue(DateA)) * 24
   Dim h As Integer: h = (TimeB - TimeA) / 100
   milhrs = dh + h
End Function

Assuming a Date or String formatted as date in the date cells (with the end date being "greater" then or same as the start date) and number values in the time cells.
Custom number format on the time cells => 0000
Thank you,
I will implement it as soon as I can.
Carlos

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrcsbenson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back