Calculated column based on multiple dates

logan115

Hi All,

Until a few weeks ago when we finally upgrade to Office 2010 (from 2003), I considered myself to be of the intermediate level in Excel. After finding forums like this one I am now feeling that I am more like the remedial level :LOL:

Anyway, I have a very basic model, two tables. One is just a 'date' table that currently just has dates from Jan 1, 2012-Jan 1, 2015 (although honestly I don't have any data past mid-2013). The second table is 'transactional' data, containing mainly information about purchases and sales, specfically when the product will either be shipped or received as well as the quantity, price, deal value(purchase or sales volume * price), and due dates among other things.

To project my inventory I can use the "running total" in my pivot, but I'm struggling on projecting my payables and receivables to help manage my cash flow.

What I would like to do is create a formula that I can add into my pivot showing outstanding payables and receivables on a given day. Criteria is that in order to generate an outstanding payable/receivable, the product must have been shipped (if I'm selling) or received (when I'm buying) today or some point in the past.

I've tried without success to use a calculated column in my 'date' table, thinking that I could create a formula saying "sum all deal values where the shipping/receiving date (in the 'transactional' table) is less than or equal to the date shown (in the 'date' table) AND the due date (in the 'transactional' table) is greater than the date shown."

For example, for Mar 5th I would like to see outstanding payments or receipts that are due Mar 6 or later, provided that product has moved Mar 5th or sooner.

How would I do this ? Been going crazy for over a week trying to figure this out.

I'm convinced that this is either a very complex calculation that is way beyond my capbility, or so simple that I'm over thinking it and can't see something that is right in front of my nose.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Am I starting to develop a problem if it is Friday and I can't wait to get the kids to sleep so I can work on my formula ?

Chris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back