Calculating the weighted average profit rate on a monthly basis for several deposits

mromar88

Fellow Excelers,

My problem has vexed me for a while, so I'm hoping its not a simple one. I have several investment deposits, each one has a different currency, interest rate, start date, and maturity. I'm trying to calculate the monthly average profit rate for all investments in the same currency. So, what I've been trying to do for a while, and the part in which I need your help in, is come up with a formula to do the following:

Calculate the monthly profit amount for all investment deposit: for each investment deposits, I use this formula: Daily Profit*MAX(0,MIN(Maturity Date,Next Month)-MAX(Start Date,Current Month))
what this formula does is check whether the investment deposit has any days within the current month, if so, it calculates the days in the month and multiply it by the daily profit.

This is how the table that I'm trying to fill out looks like (not the whole table): Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Here is a snapshot of some of the investment deposits that I have:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

So, just to make things clearer, let's say I want to calculate the average profit rate for USD investments in February, 2016. The formula will check the table and see that investments number 3 to 9 have profit days in February, 2016. Then, it will multiply each investment daily profit by the number of days for the investment in February and sum them up. Finally, divide them by the sum of the investment deposits in question.

I know its not an easy task and I hope you guys can come up with a solution (hopefully not through a VBA code). I tried using SUMPRODUCT but the formula i mentioned above didn't work because of the MAX and MIN.

I hope I've clearly stated what I'm hoping for. If not, please ask away and I'll be happy to make things clearer.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
If you could please post some sample data together with desired outcome I'd be glad to help you with your currency hedges. You can download a HTML add-in using the link in my signature below.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mayankshekhar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back