calculation time

j3andc

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet that I am using for my checkbook. One page has the checks in it and it looks at the second sheet that is populated with the cleared checks.

I am using vlookup, sumif and sumproduct. Nothing fancy, but the data is 500 plus lines and it is taking a while to calculate (Excel 2000, by the way).

Is there a way to reduce the amount of calculation time?

Thanks

Jim

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.

j3andc

Board Regular
Again...(with more detail)

In the sheet, I am listing all outstanding checks. For each check, I am using Vlookup to determine if that check has cleared. I have conditional formating that reacts if the vlookup formula returns with an answer saying the check has cleared (font changes to bold, etc..)

The second sheet contains the list of cleared checks. It is simply a list of check information that I download from the bank (Date, check number, amount....)

Both sheets have over 500 lines of data. In the past, if I had to add a line, it was simple and it would happen immediately. Now that the file has grown, if I want to do the same action, it will go through a recalc, which takes some time (1-2 minutes, at least).

Originally the two sheet mentioned were in the same file. I thought that I could fix this issue by seperating the file. This did not improve this time issue.

I do not believe that it is the computer, since I have tried it at home and at work and get the same type of results.

Hopefully I have been less vague.

just_jon

Legend
Hmmm, for that small amount of data it should calc in an eye blink.

How about posting - using Colo's HTMLMaker at the bottom of the page - a sample of your sheets.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobHenk