calculation time

j3andc

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet that I am using for my checkbook. One page has the checks in it and it looks at the second sheet that is populated with the cleared checks.

I am using vlookup, sumif and sumproduct. Nothing fancy, but the data is 500 plus lines and it is taking a while to calculate (Excel 2000, by the way).

Is there a way to reduce the amount of calculation time?

Thanks

Jim

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Again...(with more detail)

In the sheet, I am listing all outstanding checks. For each check, I am using Vlookup to determine if that check has cleared. I have conditional formating that reacts if the vlookup formula returns with an answer saying the check has cleared (font changes to bold, etc..)

The second sheet contains the list of cleared checks. It is simply a list of check information that I download from the bank (Date, check number, amount....)

Both sheets have over 500 lines of data. In the past, if I had to add a line, it was simple and it would happen immediately. Now that the file has grown, if I want to do the same action, it will go through a recalc, which takes some time (1-2 minutes, at least).

Originally the two sheet mentioned were in the same file. I thought that I could fix this issue by seperating the file. This did not improve this time issue.

I do not believe that it is the computer, since I have tried it at home and at work and get the same type of results.

Hopefully I have been less vague.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, for that small amount of data it should calc in an eye blink.

How about posting - using Colo's HTMLMaker at the bottom of the page - a sample of your sheets.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back