Call Centre Forecasting

Codyy

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a dilema figuring out this forecasting model that I inherited in my call centre. I'm hoping that talking the spreadsheet out will maybe bring me some clarity. Thanks in advance for anyone who can assist.

Basically, we are planning required FTEs for anticipated workload. This will allow us to determine how many agents can be approved to go on vacation per any given week.

On the current spreadsheet, there are two columns. Required FTE forecast for vacation planning period, and required FTEs for day-to-day management.

The day-to-day management column makes sense for me. This is simply the number of agents needed based on an erlang C calculation using historical call volumes for same time last year and factoring in our average number of unplanned FTEs who are away due to illness, etc. The spreadsheet says that the other column, required FTE forecast for planning, is based on an assumsed staff level of 25. This is my problem. I cannot make the leap between the day-to-day management call column, and how the spreadsheet creator arrives at the forecast number. Any thoughts as to how staffing of 25 predicted agents might come into play on this sheet? In my mind, and perhaps I am missing something very simple, if I am predicting required agents for the upcoming year based on historical volumes, why would it matter how many agents I may or may not have?

If I cannot figure out the old way, I am, of course, also interested in discussing other better ways to approach this forecast.

Thanks,
Cody

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back