Calling all vba experts!

aeddipa

I need some serious help with VBA. I have a project and I'm working on a reset button. In my model that contains only two funds, I can get it to work.

Essentially the model is fund A and fund B. There are 2 stocks in A and 4 in B. When I select Fund A, it shows the 2 stocks and 2 rows of data with 0's since it does not contain any other stocks (these 0's are replaced with the stocks from fund B when you choose to view that fund).

So what I have is a clear lines button, which removes those 0's from the row. Then I have a reset button so that when I view fund B, it will show all 4 stocks and not 2 (presuming i didn't hit the reset button).

Now, I have a huge project where I'm trying to implement this model, but I'm not sure how. In my model I have several tabs that get me to the point I need, but the whole point of my project was to clean it up and make it look more professional.

When I started this project, there were something like 12 tabs for each portfolio. I have eliminated them by creating a combo box that can change between the portfolios, so I don't want to recreate new tabs (unless its only 1 or 2) for this to work.

I have the "clear lines" VBA code in place and that works just fine. My reset button is the one that isnt working properly. I want it to reset, to the formulas that are in place and recreate the rows that the "clear lines" function deleted. Right now, I have a "Template Tab", for the reset, but when I click the reset it only takes the values from that tab and doesn't take the formulas like I want.

Here is the code:

Sub ResetMacro()
Range("G36").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=Template!RC"
Range("G36").Select
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("G36:AE36"), Type:=xlFillDefault
Range("G36:AE36").Select
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("G36:AE79"), Type:=xlFillDefault
Range("G36:AE79").Select

What do I need to include so that Excel recognizes to grab the formulas and not the values derived from the formulas. The reason I need this is because if you hit reset, its only data at this point and you can no longer change between different portfolios.

If someone could assist me with this I would be very grateful. This is probably my biggest problem with the project and if it can be solved, I should be done.

Would I perhaps include something like:

With("Template!) extract formulas

???? I don't know the code so I'm using plain english terms.

Thanks for all your help. BTW if you need to see the model I built to understand what I'm attempting, I can email it to you.

Here are some screen shots though:

Fund B in normal state.

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 115px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD>Fund</TD><TD>b</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD>Fund B</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD>Stock</TD><TD>Price</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD>IBM</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">15</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">8</TD><TD>AAPL</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">110</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">9</TD><TD>SPAR</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">8</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">10</TD><TD>ING</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">10</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">11</TD><TD>Other table</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #00ff00; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: groove; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #00ff00; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: groove; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: groove; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffcf9; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: groove"><TBODY><TR><TD>Spreadsheet Formulas</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca"><TD>Cell</TD><TD>Formula</TD></TR><TR><TD>A3</TD><TD>=Sheet1!A3</TD></TR><TR><TD>A5</TD><TD>=Sheet1!A5</TD></TR><TR><TD>A6</TD><TD>=Sheet1!A6</TD></TR><TR><TD>B6</TD><TD>=Sheet1!B6</TD></TR><TR><TD>A7</TD><TD>=Sheet1!A7</TD></TR><TR><TD>B7</TD><TD>=Sheet1!B7</TD></TR><TR><TD>A8</TD><TD>=Sheet1!A8</TD></TR><TR><TD>B8</TD><TD>=Sheet1!B8</TD></TR><TR><TD>A9</TD><TD>=Sheet1!A9</TD></TR><TR><TD>B9</TD><TD>=Sheet1!B9</TD></TR><TR><TD>A10</TD><TD>=Sheet1!A10</TD></TR><TR><TD>B10</TD><TD>=Sheet1!B10</TD></TR><TR><TD>A11</TD><TD>=Sheet1!A11</TD></TR><TR><TD>B11</TD><TD>=Sheet1!B11</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >>

Fund A before clicking "Clear Lines" button.

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 115px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD>Fund</TD><TD>a</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD>Fund A</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD>Stock</TD><TD>Price</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD>IBM</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">30</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">8</TD><TD>AAPL</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">140</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">9</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">10</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">11</TD><TD>Other table</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fund A after clicking "clear lines"

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 115px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD>Fund</TD><TD>a</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD>Fund A</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD>Stock</TD><TD>Price</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD>IBM</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">30</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">8</TD><TD>AAPL</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">140</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">9</TD><TD>Other table</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">10</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">11</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fund B before clicking "reset"

<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 115px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD>Fund</TD><TD>b</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD>Fund B</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD>Stock</TD><TD>Price</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD>IBM</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">15</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">8</TD><TD>AAPL</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">110</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">9</TD><TD>Other table</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fund B back in its original state.
<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><COLGROUP><COL style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; WIDTH: 30px"><COL style="WIDTH: 115px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">3</TD><TD>Fund</TD><TD>b</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">4</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">5</TD><TD>Fund B</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">6</TD><TD>Stock</TD><TD>Price</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">7</TD><TD>IBM</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">15</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">8</TD><TD>AAPL</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">110</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">9</TD><TD>SPAR</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">8</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">10</TD><TD>ING</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">10</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; TEXT-ALIGN: center">11</TD><TD>Other table</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thank you so much to anyone who views this and responds. I really appreciate any help I can get on this code to make it work. This model was built off of 2 funds, but keep in mind if you are replying that I will have to do this for 12 different funds so it's a bit more complex.

Sincerely,
Andrew

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Would it actually be easier to have a VBA script that copied a "template" tab and pasted it into the current sheet in a specific row and column.

Would that essentially "reset" the data?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylsteve

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back