Calulating a IRR based on monthly cash flows

Brad F

Hey -

I am working on a real esate development/ waterfall model and need to calculate an IRR based on monthly cash flows. The cash flows are irregular and assumed to be recognized at the end of each month over a year term. Is the XIRR function the way to go? And do I need to divide my hurdle rate by 12? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I'm getting rusty on this but I think you can use IRR if the cash flows are evenly spaced, at the end of each month. Since you are assuming them to be recognized monthly that should work. XIRR is what you would use if cash flows are truly uneven - some months yes, others no.

As far as the rate, the IRR will give you a rate that is in the same "time" as the periods - so if its monthly periods its a monthly rate. You probably would need to divide your hurdle rate by 12, or vice versa multiply the result from Excel by 12. XIRR (I think) gives an annualized rate.

Upvote 0
So essentially if have cash flows shown in 12 periods, regadless if it's 12 months or 12 years - the IRR is treated the same? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's it. You'll have to put the answer in context of the lengths of periods as defined by your input, I think.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back