Calulating Time Past for Pay Roll

Josephine48

I am trying to speed up the way I do the time cards for the lady at the local tea room where I work part time. I see that some time back Bill Jensen gave a formula for making this calculation but it is a bit confusing. This is what he wrote:

If the times are in cells A1 & B1 and you want the elapsed time in C1, follow these steps:
In cell C1, set up a custom number format of [h]:mm
Enter this formula in C1: =MAX(A1:B1)-MIN(A1:B1)

The square brackets around the h will insure that times over 24 hours are still reported as hours instead of days.
Also, the result of a date/time calculation can never be negative. I've used the Max and Min to make sure the earlier time is always subtracted from the later time. You could also use =ABS(B1-A1) or simply make sure that B1 will always be greater than A1.

That is fine but if I do this using military times it comes out like this:
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 144pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=192 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=3 width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64 height=20>945</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64>1330</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64>385</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right height=20>945</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>1330</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>385</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
So the time from 9:45 to 1:30 PM is 385 but how does that compute to hours and minutes. I know if I work it out in my head it like 3hrs. 45 mins. but I can't see that in the number 385. I really don't have the money to spend on a computer program to do this for me. All I am doing is just doing the calculations for her. This is a very small place and only employs like 8 or 9 people and no one works 40 hours a week.

Can you give me some insight into how to read this or is there a formula that tell me hours and minutes even if that number appears as just a series of numbers. I just need the key to understand it.

I am smart enough to get myself into a lot of work but I am hoping that I am also smart enough to be able to set up a formula that will do the brain teasers for me.

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hello Josephine48, welcome to MrExcel,

You need to enter times with a colon separating the hours and minutes, so that Excel recognises it as a time.

So in A1 you put 09:45, and in B1 13:30

then in C1 you use the formula

=B1-A1

and you should get the difference in time format, i.e. 3:45

Upvote 0
You are so wonderful. I have been struggling with this for a couple of hours and thought that I would check on line to see if there was a chart or something and found Mr. Excel. What a great time saver you are.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davinroach

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back