Can' Exit Design Mode Because Control 'xxx' can not be created

bisel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I know this has been asked before and hoping someone has a solution.

I have a large workbook that occasionally, when opening, results in macros not functioning and a message is displayed that states "Can't exist design mode because Control 'xxx' can not be created".

I am running Windows 11, Microsoft Office 365 and my workbook is fairly large at 13MB. The workbook is saved in binary format. I have several user controls in the workbook, but none of them a Form Controls ... all are ActiveX controls.

In doing a Google search, I find many instances of others having this problem, but no resolution seems to exist. My only recourse is to ensure that when I make any changes to the VBA or data, no matter how small, to incrementally save my work so that if the error should occur I can restore the prior version.

In you opinion, is this something that is related to the size of the workbook? I have certainly experienced this error in my larger workbooks and not in the smaller size workbooks ... even though the same structure exists in the larger and smaller workbooks (i.e., ActiveX controls, extensive VBA code, etc.). Those of you who have experienced this condition, have you discovered a resolution?

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

Steve

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
You said "occasionally" - does that mean that it sometimes works without any error at all?

Upvote 0
You said "occasionally" - does that mean that it sometimes works without any error at all?
No. if The error occurs, then no amount of effort resolves the issue. If I restore a working saved copy, then everything is fine. I can perform the exact same modification, save my work and all is well.

Upvote 0
Hard to say - I've never seen that error before. Some ActiveX controls are specific to a certain version of Excel, so that may (or may not) be the cause of the problem.

13mb is not in itself an overly large file, but it may be worth transferring the data over to a new fresh workbook, and copy across the VBA code and see if that helps?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back