Can I add an XLOOKUP column after creating/loading the power query output?

Mr_Phil

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi everyone. I am now working on my second PQ attempt. I'm hopeful because the append query in another project was fantastic. In this case I have a mass aggregator that in one instance needs to be unpivoted. So, I did that (Yay, so excited) by unpivoting other columns. then I realized that the source table did not have a column of data that I'd need in the query output. So, I am thinking that tomorrow I will try to add a column to the PQ output table that will look up the missing data via XLOOKUP. I can't test it tonight because I am away from the file location because I won't post it to the network until it is bulletproof. So curiosity compels me to ask if my idea will work... Learning a lot and seriously appreciating how helpful folks around here are. Thank you for reading.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Why??
Since in Power Query you can do that with a merge. Load that other table also as query. Merge queries, select the second table in the bottom half of the screen. Then you select the column op top and below to replace the lookup. Press ok and then expand the column.
Remember to load the 'lookup query' as connection only.

Upvote 0
Why?? Because I am a Clueless Newby. I'm working on my second PQ ever.
Since in Power Query you can do that with a merge. Load that other table also as query. Merge queries, select the second table in the bottom half of the screen. Then you select the column op top and below to replace the lookup. Press ok and then expand the column.
Remember to load the 'lookup query' as connection only.

It (adding an xlookup column to the table made by the query) worked! Woo Hoo!
I will give your method a try as well. Never did a merge and I need to read up on "connection only".
Thank you!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back