Can I put a "lookup" dropdown in a table?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a way to have the values in one column of one table be the result of a dropdown into another table?

Suppose I have these two tables. Is there a way that when I click in the Product column of Table1, I am shown a dropdown of the entries in the Name column of Table2 and if I select one, the corresponding Lookup Value (or a link to it) is placed in that cell in Table1?

Table Lookup.xlsx
BCDEFGHIJ
5DateProductPriceABCNameLookup Value
603/23/23Lookup?$249.95??????Product AValue X
7Product BValue Y
8Product CValue Z
Sheet1

Hmmm... I just noticed that xl2bb does not show the names of the tables. Table1 is the one on the left (<--). Table2 is the one on the right (-->).

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi,
If cell C6 can hold a Data Validation with your choices Value X, Value Y, Value Z
then formula for cell E6 :
Excel Formula:
=IF(SUBSTITUTE(INDEX($I:$I,MATCH($C6,$J:$J,0)),"Product ","")=E$5,INDEX($I:$I,MATCH($C6,$J:$J,0)),"")

Upvote 0
Hi,
If cell C6 can hold a Data Validation with your choices Value X, Value Y, Value Z
then formula for cell E6 :
Excel Formula:
=IF(SUBSTITUTE(INDEX($I:$I,MATCH($C6,$J:$J,0)),"Product ","")=E$5,INDEX($I:$I,MATCH($C6,$J:$J,0)),"")
Thanks for taking the time to work on my very poorly worded problem. I don't know what I was thinking. What I am trying to do is actually quite straightforward once I get my head on straight. The table will be processed by a macro. The macro will do the lookup. Here are better sample tables. Suppose I am in the market for a new EV. Table1 will contain various properties of cars that I am considering buying. Many of the properties, such as MSRP & Range are numeric. They can be assessed arithmetically. Others are non-numeric properties, like body type. For those, I need a lookup table to convert them to a numeric value. Then the macro can calculate an overall rating.

Table Lookup.xlsx
BCDEFGHI
4Table1Table2
5MakeModelBody TypeMSRPRangeBody TypeValue
6HyundaiIoniq 5SUV$41K220Sedan10
7BMWiXSUV$109K288Hatchback9
8ChevroletBolt EUVHatchback$28K259Coupe7
9BMWi4Sedan$56K260SUV6
10GenesisG80Sedan$80K282Minivan6
11Sports Car5
12Station Wagon2
13Convertible0
14Pickup0
Sheet1

I apologize for taking up your time on this wild goose chase. 😥🤪 Thanks, again.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soumyahalder4

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back