Cancel button on userform

kalvy

I am attempting to have a macro run within Excel that builds a PowerPoint presentation and meanwhile have a userform cancel button that is displayed while the macro is running, that the user can press to stop the macro. For the macro to run while the cancel button is showing, I have the code within UserForm_Activate. The cancel button is linked to the following:

Code:
Private Sub SOV_Cancel_Click()
CancelSOV = True
SOV_Form.Hide
End Sub
And the code within UserForm_Activate constantly checks the value of CancelSOV and is supposed to Exit Sub when it = True.

-Main issue: As the code within UserForm_Activate is running and specifically building a powerpoint presentation, I am unable to click on the cancel button. I do have Application.ScreenUpdating = False while code runs, if you think that's the issue.
-Since moving my code to the UserForm_Activate, one of my counters is not functioning properly when the macro is run a second time- as if it's saving the value from the previous time. I have even attempted to set it to 0 and then reset it, but somewhere in the code it's going back to the counter from the last time the macro was run?

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I am attempting to have a macro run within Excel that builds a PowerPoint presentation and meanwhile have a userform cancel button that is displayed while the macro is running, that the user can press to stop the macro. <snip>.... code it's going back to the counter from the last time the macro was run?

As this is a different issue form the original post, more about interrupting running code with a cancel button, please post this as a new post.

Once you have done that send me a private message with the link and I will address the issue. It is pretty straightforward (I think)

Upvote 0
I have a simple userform with two buttons, Button1 is the OK, Button2 is the Cancel

Pressing Button1 runs the stuff that takes a long time. Button2 sets a variable bStop to true.

Code:
Option Explicit

Dim bStop As Boolean

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim lL As Long

[a1] = lL
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    bStop = False

For lL = 1 To 10000
        [a1] = lL
        DoEvents
        If bStop Then Exit For
    Next lL
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    bStop = True
End Sub

note how in the loop DoEvents is called. This tells excel to break for a millisec in order to allow Windows to process events. That way your keypress of the cancel button will be registered.

If your presentation compiling software does not use a loop then add DoEvents throughout the code (for instance where you ask it to check your variable)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back