Cannot insert columns ...

adambc

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
... when I try, I get the message "Microsoft Excel can't insert new cells because it would push non-empty cells off the end of the worksheet. etc"

I am working on a Workbook I haven't touched since the end of 2022 - it was fine then!

The facts ...

- I have a table in A6:A659 (rows 1 to 5 have column totals) ...

- Ctrl-End takes me to XFD659 ...

- in AG6 to XFB6 (the table header row) I have "Column2" to "Column16352" (I didn't put the values there!) - XFC6 and XFD6 are "blank" ...

What I've tried ...

After searching the problem I have highlighted columns AG to XFD (Ctrl-Shift-End) and tried deleting them, clearing contents and clearing formatting ...

But the problem persists!

Can anyone help please?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Does your horizontal scroll bar still let you scroll over to column XFD or does it only go as far as the data.

I find saving the file after deleting the unwanted columns also seems to help.

Upvote 0
Solution
Does your horizontal scroll bar still let you scroll over to column XFD or does it only go as far as the data.

I find saving the file after deleting the unwanted columns also seems to help.
Yes to the scroll bar question but ...

... saving the file seems to work ...

Thanks ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes to the scroll bar question but ...

... saving the file seems to work ...

Thanks ...
Quick update ...

Saving the file works, but I needed to clear contents AND delete the columns to get Ctrl-End to find AF659 ...

Upvote 0
When I have removed dead space from a worksheet in the past - you can delete the columns but if you look at the horizontal scroll bar you can see that the worksheet is not changed, when you hit the save button keep one eye on the scroll bar - you will see the scroll bar change size after the save.

Upvote 0
When I have removed dead space from a worksheet in the past - you can delete the columns but if you look at the horizontal scroll bar you can see that the worksheet is not changed, when you hit the save button keep one eye on the scroll bar - you will see the scroll bar change size after the save.
The problem was that only deleting the columns wasn't enough (Excel recreated the content!) - but clearing the contents first, did the trick ...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back