VBA inserting formula's in cells not working

thomassamoth

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
For Excel VBA, I am trying to make a code which looks at the value in the column "case type" and let it paste a formula or clear a cell, based on said value in the cell of the column "case type". For Case type 1, Column 1 should contain be cleared of any values and Column 2 should contain Formula B, Column 3 should contain Formula C. For Case type 2, Column 1 should contain Formula A, column 2 should be cleared of any values and column 3 should contain formula C. For case 3, Column 1 should contain Formula A, Column 2 should contain formula B and Column 3 should be cleared of any values. If there is no case, all columns should be cleared. The result will look like this (example):

Case typeColumn X [Irrelevant]Column 1Column 2Column 3

Case type 1Formula BFormula C
Case type 2Formula AFormula C

Case type 3Formula AFormula B

To accomplish this, I have written the following code:
VBA Code:
    Dim tbl As ListObject
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim CaseType As ListColumn
    Dim Column1 As ListColumn
    Dim Column2 As ListColumn
    Dim Column3 As ListColumn
    Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet
    Set tbl = ws.ListObjects(1)

Set CaseType = tbl.ListColumns("Case type")
    Set Column1 = tbl.ListColumns("Column 1")
    Set Column2 = tbl.ListColumns("Column 2")
    Set Column3 = tbl.ListColumns("Column 3")

For Each cell In CaseType.DataBodyRange
             Select Case cell.Value
                Case "Case1"
                    cell.Offset(0, Column1.Index - CaseType.Index).ClearContents
                    cell.Offset(0, Column2.Index - CaseType.Index).Formula = "Formula B"
                    cell.Offset(0, Column3.Index - CaseType.Index).Formula = "Formula C"

Case "Case 2"
                    cell.Offset(0, Column1.Index - CaseType.Index).Formula = "Formula A"
                    cell.Offset(0, Column2.Index - CaseType.Index).ClearContents
                    cell.Offset(0, Column3.Index - CaseType.Index).Formula = "Formula C"

Case "Case 3"
                    cell.Offset(0, Column1.Index - CaseType.Index).Formula = "Formula A"
                    cell.Offset(0, Column2.Index - CaseType.Index).Formula = "Formula B"
                    cell.Offset(0, Column3.Index - CaseType.Index).ClearContents

Case ""
            End Select
        Next cell
    End Select

Instead I get the following result:

Case typeColumn 1Column 2Column 3

Formula AFormula BFormula C
Case type 1Formula AFormula BFormula C
Case type 2Formula AFormula C

Case type 3Formula AFormula B

I think the reason the values in the first two rows (excluding the header) are wrong, because I made a mistake in the offset function, but I haven't figured out how to fix it. Does someone know what I did wrong? Thanks in advance :)

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi thomassamoff. There's a difference between clearcontents and clear. I think you will want to use clear which will remove the formula not just the numbers ie. your formulas won't be removed only there results when using clearcontents. Anyways you have no Case "Case1" .... you have Case "Case type 1" ; "Case type 2"; etc. HTH. Dave

Upvote 0
Whoops! Strike that Clearcontents vs Clear diatribe. "Clear" clears formulas and formats. "ClearContents" clears values and formulas but leaves formatting intact. Dave

Upvote 0
Do you really need to clear the formula from the relevant column? Couldn't it instead contain a formula that returns a null string "" when that column needs to show nothing?
Here is an example, where I have just made up some dummy formulas for when each column needs to show something.

thomassamoth.xlsm
ABCDE
1Case typeColumn X [Irrelevant]Column 1Column 2Column 3
3Case type 1 26-Nov-23cat
4Case type 280 dog
6Case type 35023-Nov-23 
7Case type 1 22-Nov-23dog
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C7C2=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={"Case type 1",""}),"",RANDBETWEEN(1,99))
D2:D7D2=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={"Case type 2",""}),"",TODAY()-ROW())
E2:E7E2=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={"Case type 3",""}),"",INDEX({"cat","dog","rat"},MOD(ROW(),3)+1))

Upvote 0
Do you really need to clear the formula from the relevant column? Couldn't it instead contain a formula that returns a null string "" when that column needs to show nothing?
Here is an example, where I have just made up some dummy formulas for when each column needs to show something.

thomassamoth.xlsm
ABCDE
1Case typeColumn X [Irrelevant]Column 1Column 2Column 3
3Case type 1 26-Nov-23cat
4Case type 280 dog
6Case type 35023-Nov-23 
7Case type 1 22-Nov-23dog
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C7C2=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={"Case type 1",""}),"",RANDBETWEEN(1,99))
D2:D7D2=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={"Case type 2",""}),"",TODAY()-ROW())
E2:E7E2=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={"Case type 3",""}),"",INDEX({"cat","dog","rat"},MOD(ROW(),3)+1))
No, it needs to be clear of contents. The reason being is that the empty cell can then be used to fill in a value, which in turn is used in a formula in the other two columns. For some reason, if I run the program twice, it fixes my problem. I don't know why this is the case, but I now just put in a for loop, which will always makes the program run twice and it does the job pretty well. Thanks though for your answer and effort, much appreciated!

Upvote 0
Correction, with the for loop making the program running twice, I still have the problem that the formula's get offset in the wrong row.

Upvote 0
Give this a try with a copy of your workbook.

VBA Code:
Sub Test()
  Dim tblName As String
  Dim NumCount As Long
  Dim RowCount As Long
  Dim Column1 As Range
  Dim Column2 As Range
  Dim Column3 As Range

tblName = ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1).Name

Set Column1 = Range(tblName & "[Column 1]")
  Set Column2 = Range(tblName & "[Column 2]")
  Set Column3 = Range(tblName & "[Column 3]")
  RowCount = Column1.Rows.Count

With Column1
    .Formula2 = "=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={""Case type 1"",""""}),TRUE,1)"
    NumCount = Application.Count(Range(.Address))
    If NumCount > 0 Then .SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlNumbers).Formula2 = "Formula A"
    If NumCount < RowCount Then .SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlLogical).ClearContents
  End With

With Column2
    .Formula2 = "=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={""Case type 2"",""""}),TRUE,1)"
    If NumCount > 0 Then .SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlNumbers).Formula2 = "Formula B"
  End With

With Column3
    .Formula2 = "=IF(OR([@[Case type]]={""Case type 3"",""""}),TRUE,1)"
    If NumCount > 0 Then .SpecialCells(xlFormulas, xlNumbers).Formula2 = "Formula C"
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back