Can't figure out why VLOOKUP returns incorrect values

edeibold

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to look up participants' first names based on their identifier (the data is confidential, so I redacted all the actual data here). Column A has the participant's ID. Col A is linked to Col C, which contains the actual data (I did this because VLOOKUP can only look right). Column B is the participant's first name. I'd like to return a first name (col B) based on participant ID (col A). The lookup value would be entered in C1. However, my formula returns incorrect values. For example, the for the lookup value in the green cell (A17), it returns the value in the purple cell (B12). I tried setting the range_lookup argument to FALSE, and that removed the offset for values close to the top of the table, but caused an NA error for those further down. I'm really at a loss here

Attachments

• vlookup issue redacted.png
    vlookup issue redacted.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 10

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I think the issue was Excel prioritizing higher up partial matches over a lower down exact match. Apparently that's just how VLOOKUP works. And the NA error was because I forgot to extend the range to some of the data

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back