Cascading drop box query

ZeldaD

Hi All,
I am in the process of setting up a research register for our School. I am attempting to put together a form that our Admin staff at each of our locations can just call up and enter potential projects into which when they hit the ADD RECORD button which will populate a table called Project Info.
Project Info calls on a few other tables - Investigators (which is a list of all the currently employed academic staff), Location, Discipline and Sub Discipline.
Discipline is a straight list of all the different disciplines with a autonumber ID. My problem comes with the sub discipline table.
1. I am not sure if it should even be a separate table, or if it should be a column in Discipline as not every discipline has sub disciplines.
2. It is currently set up as three columns ID,SD_Surg and SD_Med.

What I am trying to do in my form -
When the admin staff selects a discipline from the first combo box I want this result to
1. See if the Sub Discipline box needs to be populated
2. if the discipline is Medicine or Surgery I want it to display to appropriate sub disciplines in the 2nd drop down box which are currently 2 different columns with blanks in various places.

I have been reading about drop down cascade boxes etc for three days, and nothing seems to work properly. The rest of the form works its just this one sticking point.

Am hoping someone can help.
Thanks
Zelda

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the link - I have tried something similar, but will print this out and try again.

Upvote 0
I have managed to get it to work. I was over complicating things (as per usual.0 Thanks for the link Alan - it helped crystalise things.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardey6ix

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back