Cell background colour to be highlighted in yellow and font to be in red within a For Each/Next code

StevieMP

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,
I've got this bit of code - What I want to add into it is when it is updated with the comment, the background colour is highlighted in yellow and the font is highlighted in red.
Basically, it looks for a match between 2 worksheets and when it finds a match a comment is added to the required cell. The comment I want to be highlighted with a cell background of yellow and font of red.
The code is:

Dim w1 As Worksheet, w2 As Worksheet
Dim c As Range, FR As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set w1 = Worksheets("TradeWeb")
Set w2 = Worksheets("Log")

For Each c In w1.Range("TradeWebFund", w1.Range("B" & Rows.count).End(xlUp))
FR = 0
On Error Resume Next
FR = Application.Match(c, w2.Columns(5), 0)
On Error GoTo 0
If FR <> 0 Then w2.Range("I" & FR).Value = "SP - Email sent " & Now

Next c

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Change the line before Next c to this:

VBA Code:
If FR <> 0 Then
   With w2.Range("I" & FR)
      .Value = "SP - Email sent " & Now
      .Interior.Color = vbYellow
      .Font.Color = vbRed
   End With
End If

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
     If FR <> 0 Then
          With w2.Range("I" & FR)
               .Interior.ColorIndex = 6
               .Font.ColorIndex = 3
          End With
     End If
almost the same as RoryA, color vs colorindex

Upvote 0
Solution
VBA Code:
     If FR <> 0 Then
          With w2.Range("I" & FR)
               .Interior.ColorIndex = 6
               .Font.ColorIndex = 3
          End With
     End If
almost the same as RoryA, color vs colorindex
Thank you both....really appreciate your help. I like the fact you can use vbYellow/vbRed as well as the numbers 6/3.
Thanks once again

Upvote 0
Just be aware that if you use colorindex, you will get whatever colour the user has set in their colour palette at that position, which is not necessarily the colour you chose. That's either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your objective. ;)

Upvote 0
you will get whatever colour the user has set in their colour palette at that position
... meaning that you can change for instance ".colorindex =6", normally yellow into blue ?
I thought that was fixed, solid, unchangeble.

Upvote 0
Yes, it can be changed. For example, step through this code and watch the active cell:

Code:
Sub AlterColours()
    ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
    ActiveWorkbook.Colors(6) = vbRed
end sub

Upvote 0
a late and off topic reaction to @RoryA in #8.
I'm confused about that colorindex and colors(i)
As above, i make 6(=normally yellow) red, then a make lots of colors with RGB(255,x,y) with x and y in the range 5-255
Ask the colorindex of that color and funny excel recognize the visual yellow still as colorindex 6, but that is previous changed to red. In the next line, you fill that cel with that colorindex and now is 6 red.
conclusion and confusion : the colorindex of a RGB-color that is visual yellow remains 6, although 6 is now red
Am i making a mistake somewhere ?
VBA Code:
Sub testcolor()
     ActiveWorkbook.Colors(6) = vbRed                           '6 is normally yellow, but now it's red
     For i = 1 To 51                                            'the rows = the G (green) in steps of 5 from 5 to 255
          For j = 1 To 51                                       ' the columns = the B (blue) in steps for 5 from 5 to 255
               With Cells(i, j)
                    .Interior.Color = RGB(255, i * 5, j * 5)    'color a matrix of 51*51 with a corresponding RGB-color with R=255
                    .Value = .Interior.ColorIndex               'write in the cell the colorindex corresponding to that RGB-value
                    .Interior.ColorIndex = .Value               'and now the confusing part, color that cell with that colorindex
               End With
          Next
     Next
End Sub
I tried to add a image, but that was too big, but if you add above code in an empty workbook, a first time without that 3rd line " .Interior.ColorIndex = .Value" in the bottomLeft corner, you 'll have yellow cells.
Run the macro a second time with that 3rd line and the bottomleft corner is red.
Yellow remains colorindex 6, but you can foul the system and make 6 into red ???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is a disconnect between the two properties. If you set the Colorindex for a cell, and then move it to a workbook with a different colour palette, the cell colour will change to whatever colour is at that index in the new workbook; if you set the Color property, that is fixed regardless of the palette.

I'm not sure what the logic is for returning a colorindex when the cell colour's RGB value is not an exact match for any of the workbook palette colours, but that appears to be where the disconnect is in your example. If you use the exact workbook colours, then the colorindex should adjust appropriately.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back