Cell Formatting When Using Index Match

kxellis26

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings -

I have an issue that my little brain can't seem to wrap itself around. I put an index match formula in to pull hours data for employees, based on either their e-mail address or employee ID. The e-mail address pulls back the data I need with no issues, but the employee ID (ADP) information doesn't work. I figured it was because the cell needed to be formatted as a number, but it's still not working. When I just type out the employee ID in another cell, the formula works like a sweet, sweet dream. Anyone got any ideas?

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3C3=INDEX(Roster!K:K,MATCH(Search!B3,Roster!D:D,0))
D3D3=INDEX(Roster!J:J,MATCH(Search!B3,Roster!D:D,0))
C6:C36C6=IFERROR(INDEX(ADP!N:N,MATCH(1,(ADP!E:E=Search!$I$5)*(ADP!F:F=Search!B6),0)),"")
D6:D36D6=IFERROR(INDEX(Five9!C:C,MATCH(1,(Five9!H:H=$C$3)*(Five9!A:A=B6),0)),"")
E6:E36E6=IFERROR((D6*24),"")
F6:F36F6=IFERROR((C6-E6),"")
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
Five9!_FilterDatabase=Five9!$A$1:$H$124578D6:D36
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B3List=Roster!$D$2:$D$214

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
When matching on values, both values must be the same data type.
If one is entered as a valid number, but the other number is actually entered as text, it will not work.

You can easily verify this by checking each value with the ISNUMBER function, i.e.
=ISNUMBER(D3)
=ISNUMBER(F3)

If one returns TRUE and the other FALSE, then you have different data types. You must convert one or the other so they are all the same.

Upvote 0
When matching on values, both values must be the same data type.
If one is entered as a valid number, but the other number is actually entered as text, it will not work.

You can easily verify this by checking each value with the ISNUMBER function, i.e.
=ISNUMBER(D3)
=ISNUMBER(F3)

If one returns TRUE and the other FALSE, then you have different data types. You must convert one or the other so they are all the same.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but even when I change the cell to a number, it still doesn't work. When I check "=isnumber" it comes back as false. The data from the tab it's pulling from is also formatted as a number. It's making me crazy.

NameE-MailIDType ID Here
Narcisse, Walter Patrickwnarcisse@risebroadband.com118005464118005464FALSETRUE

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but even when I change the cell to a number, it still doesn't work. When I check "=isnumber" it comes back as false. The data from the tab it's pulling from is also formatted as a number. It's making me crazy.

NameE-MailIDType ID Here
Narcisse, Walter Patrickwnarcisse@risebroadband.com118005464118005464FALSETRUE
Changing the format of a cell has no impact on the data type and how the value was entered.
Formatting only affects numeric entries.
So changing the format of a cell that has data that was entered as text will NOT fix it.
You need to change the format to a non-text format (General, Number, etc) and THEN you must re-enter the data!
If you have a lot of cells to do, you can do it a column at a time using Text to Columns.

Upvote 0
Changing the format of a cell has no impact on the data type and how the value was entered.
Formatting only affects numeric entries.
So changing the format of a cell that has data that was entered as text will NOT fix it.
You need to change the format to a non-text format (General, Number, etc) and THEN you must re-enter the data!
If you have a lot of cells to do, you can do it a column at a time using Text to Columns.
Got it. So if the source data I'm pasting is formatted as number when I paste, it should work? I pulled it down as CSV, so I'm going to try pulling it as XLS and format it as numbers.

Hopefully I didn't miss the point here. I am not near my computer, but will try ASAP.

Thank your for the assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back