Cell is blank even though it holds a value (Formatted as number)

creaseA

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am currently facing an issue where a cell is blank even though it has been assigned a numerical value.

Say in Cell Z9 I have "=C9" where C9 is a cell with 0.5 as a numerical value.

In Z9 I have formatted as a number and ensured there is no color fill. Say if I use cell A1 and say "=Z9" I get 0.5 which indicates Z9 has the value I want it is just not showing it.

Any suggestions? I hope this is mostly trivial

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Check for the following things:
- Are there any Conditional Formatting rules being applied to cell Z9?
- Do you have any VBA code in this "Sheet" module in VBA?

Upvote 0
Check for the following things:
- Are there any Conditional Formatting rules being applied to cell Z9?
- Do you have any VBA code in this "Sheet" module in VBA?
The only conditional formatting on cell Z9 is to turn the cell grey if say, "J21 <> "My_string"". This formatting is working as expected, and Cells Z10, and onwards all are working as expected. This issue only exists in cell Z9 (the first row of the table I am working in). There is VBA code to clear the cell, and re-input the specified formula once completed. Additionally, there is VBA code to hide the entire column Z9 is in under certain conditions.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you got a lot of different things interacting with that cell.
Conditional Formatting and VBA are usually the most likely culprits.
Might be hard for us to analyze without have access to the workbook.

However, one last thing you can check. You said that you verified that there is no background color formatting applied.
How about text (font) color? Check that to make sure it is not "White" so it blends in with the background.
Also, if you place the your cursor in cell Z9 (so that it is the active cell), can you see a value in there then?

Upvote 0
Solution
Sounds like you got a lot of different things interacting with that cell.
Conditional Formatting and VBA are usually the most likely culprits.
Might be hard for us to analyze without have access to the workbook.

However, one last thing you can check. You said that you verified that there is no background color formatting applied.
How about text (font) color? Check that to make sure it is not "White" so it blends in with the background.
Also, if you place the your cursor in cell Z9 (so that it is the active cell), can you see a value in there then?
Haha I had a feeling it was something trivial lol! I spent about an hour scouring code making sure the indexing was correct. The solution? The one pesky cell had white font....... Worthy of a good laugh. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Haha I had a feeling it was something trivial lol! I spent about an hour scouring code making sure the indexing was correct. The solution? The one pesky cell had white font....... Worthy of a good laugh. Thanks for the help!
You are welcome.

Yeah, that is a trick I have seen used sometimes to "hide" the value from the cell, but most often, I see people use it to hide specific values (like 0 maybe) from the cell via Conditional Formatting.

Anyway, glad we got it all sorted!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back