Cell Reference in Header

natetc

Board Regular
Hi,

Simple question from a frustrated user.

I want to reference the text from cell B4 & B5 in the header of my sheet.

Do I have to put this in the MS VB of the sheet? or do I formulate this and drop it in the header?

thanks!

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
What are you wanting to reference?

There are ways to include your reference in text, such as "Today is [DATE]" and have the date pulling from another cell or there is a simple reference where you just want the exact thing from another cell to apprear in a different cell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
What are you wanting to reference?

There are ways to include your reference in text, such as "Today is [DATE]" and have the date pulling from another cell or there is a simple reference where you just want the exact thing from another cell to apprear in a different cell.

I literally want whatever is in cell B4 and B5 placed in the header as text.

So if B4 = Dog and B5 = Cat, I want the header to state Dog Cat

Upvote 0
You can use this in the BeforePrint event:

ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = ActiveSheet.Range("A1") & " " & ActiveSheet.Range("B1")

HTH,

Upvote 0
error - missread the question

Upvote 0
You can use this in the BeforePrint event:

ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = ActiveSheet.Range("A1") & " " & ActiveSheet.Range("B1")

HTH,

Sorry to do this, but where is the BeforePrint event? I went to Print Preview, Page Setup, and Header/Footer. Inputted the formula but it only shows as the text in the header.

Upvote 0
That's VBA code. To use it right-click ALT+F11 to open the VB Editor. Once open look in the Project Explorer on the left side of the window (if you don't see it hit CTRL+R). You'll see your workbook listed as VBAProject(WorkbookName). Expand the folder and then open the ThisWorkbook module and paste this in:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
    If ActiveSheet.Name = "Sheet1" Then ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = ActiveSheet.Range("A1") & " " & ActiveSheet.Range("B1")
End Sub

You don't need to define the sheet if you want the header on every sheet, just if you want to restrict it to a certain sheet(s).

ALT+Q will take you back to Excel.

Upvote 0
Thanks for a good direction. That's a step in the right direction for me but, to get it to work, I had to create "sheet1" and put something in cells "A1" and "B1"(to match your string of code) - (couldn't get it to work last night when I replaced the sheet name with "PSA-Fee", adjusted to "LeftHeader" and my cells where "H1" and "H2"). When I enacted your string of code below it did capture the contents of cells A1 and A2. However, when I adjusted the contents of cells A1 and A2 it did not update the header. It still kept the original contents of those cells. I had to go into the header and delete the original contents for it to show the new contents on the next print. Ultimately, for my spreadsheet tab to be successful, I need to reference 5 cells in the header and throw in a page count at the bottom. That is to say I need a stack of 4 lines. The top line will be one cell reference. The second line down will be 3 cell references, the third line down will be one cell reference, and the bottom line will be a page count (Page # of #) that starts with page 2. And I need the header to update when I change the contents of those cells. I'm using 2010. Do I even stand a chance of making this work?;) Thank you for pointing me in the right direction and for whatever you might be able to help me with. Jarrod

Upvote 0
Used the following code to add a cell reference in my header
Sub headerofactivesheet()
ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterHeader = ActiveSheet.Range("c2") & " " & ActiveSheet.Range("c3") & " " & Format(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("C4").Value)
End Sub

but it appears in the header as one line - Supplier Loads MWh 1/4/2017
what I want it to look like in the header is

Supplier Loads
MWh
Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Can you fix this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back