Cells for numerical fields ignoring formatting

anth0nj

I have a spreadsheet where a number of cells always place numbers in the bottom left of a cell. If I go to format and select Top for alignment and is in General catagory, the number is still placed in bottom left of the cell. Also if I select number with 2dp, the number is still displayed as 0dp. If I type in text, the alignment changes to what I have set. If I type in another number, the number is still placed in bottom left of the cell.
There is no conditional formatting and after making a format change, I change retype in the number.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Firstly you say that you format the cell and the number is still placed in the wrong place, which sounds like you don't try to re-enter the number. But then you say that you do retype the number. Which case is true?

Upvote 0
I format the cell to be left and top aligned. When done, the number still stays in the bottom left. I then retype the number for that cell. The number still stays in the bottom left. I hope this answres your question.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back