Cells that change from being filled to being empty.

berkeleydave

Hello,

I am currently working on a spreadsheet that will be used by others to enter data. The current sheet that I am working on is an attendance sheet. What I am trying to get is the following: So I have all the last and first names of the set of people that could be in a particular program. However, on the first day of the program, I could find out that a) some students did not end up enrolled in the school or b) some students do not want to participate in the program. Thus, I set up a column for these two types with data validation based on a named list to only allow the entry of "NE" for not enrolled and "NP" for not participating in this column. Now, to my question. In the remainder of the sheet, I have the various parts of the program (multiplication practice, vocab quiz, snack time, etc.) as column headings. What I would like is if "NE" or "NP" was entered in the adjacent column, all of these columns fill with "NA" BUT if the NE/NP column is blank (implying that this student if fair game for the program), then all of these cells are just regular blank cells that I can impose a data validation of values of 0 or 1 on. Just to be clear, I am not trying to accompliush (assuming I am in cell B2) =IF(OR(A2="NE",A2="NP"),"NA","") because then the cells are not truly blank, but have formulas in them that display as blank.

Can anyone help? Worst case, I can scrap the whole "fill with NAs" portion, but it would be neat to do.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back