Challenged to replace IF INDEX MATCH

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone could help me with the following conundrum I'm wrecking my head around.
I have a query wich is a filtered download of a large data file, containing for each Product_factory combination info about component types annd quantities going "in" and "out" of the production process. The sum of "in" and "out" are not necessarily equal for each product due to production losses.

My goal is the following: to find the sum of all Productx "out" that contain Component A "in". In below example 310.
Is it possible?

Endproduct_factoryComponentsQuantityIn/Out
Product1_factory1A-40in
Product1_factory1B-200in
Product1_factory1C-60in
Product1_factory1Product1310out
Product2_factory1B-100in
Product2_factory1C-100in
Product2_factory1Product2205out

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
the challenge is because you have mixed components and products in the same column. A product is not a component - I don't even think you could do this with index match. Assuming you're looking at this in powerquery I would do a conditional column that copied only 'components' starting with Product to a new column and then 'Fill Up'. You would then have components s A, B & C listed against Product 1, etc That should give you something to work with.

HTH

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Ok thanks, I've tried a few things and got to the below, but would you know how I can get them to be aligned to one line i.e. remove the empties per same Endproduct_factory?

Current
Endproduct_factoryComponent AComponent BComponent CProduct1
Product1_factory1-40
Product1_factory1-200
Product1_factory1-60
Product1_factory1310

To-be
Endproduct_factoryComponent AComponent BComponent CProduct1
Product1_factory1-40-200-60310

Upvote 0
I've used PowerQuery and the easiest way for you to replicate this is by going to the PowerQuert Advanced Editor and copying the following code: It assumes that your data above is in a table called Table1. It works by:
1. Delete the In/Out column
2. A couple of lines extract the Product and Factory from the EndProduct_factory field - this could be omitted if you wish, but I think it will give your more flexibility later.
3. Changes any components called Product1, Product2 etc to 'Product Count' as this will form the new column name.
4. Unpivots the Item and Quantity columns.
The result should be much as you have above.

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Endproduct_factory", type text}, {"Components", type text}, {"Quantity", Int64.Type}, {"In/Out", type text}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"In/Out"}),
    #"Inserted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Text Before Delimiter", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Endproduct_factory], "_"), type text),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Text Before Delimiter",{{"Text Before Delimiter", "Product"}}),
    #"Inserted Text After Delimiter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Text After Delimiter", each Text.AfterDelimiter([Endproduct_factory], "_"), type text),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Text After Delimiter",{{"Text After Delimiter", "Factory"}}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Endproduct_factory", "Factory", "Product", "Components", "Quantity"}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns", "Item", each if Text.StartsWith([Components], "Prod") then "Product Count" else [Components]),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Components"}),
    #"Reordered Columns1" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns1",{"Endproduct_factory", "Factory", "Product", "Item", "Quantity"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Reordered Columns1", List.Distinct(#"Reordered Columns1"[Item]), "Item", "Quantity", List.Sum)
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

However, I'm still not sure that that will be your best structure. The code at the bottom of this post (again, it should be copied into the Advanced Editor in Powerquery), will produce this table:

Endproduct_factoryProductsComponentsInputOutput
Product1_factory1Product1A-40310
Product1_factory1Product1B-200310
Product1_factory1Product1C-60310
Product2_factory1Product2B-100205
Product2_factory1Product2C-100205

This is the code:

Code:
let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Endproduct_factory", type text}, {"Components", type text}, {"Quantity", Int64.Type}, {"In/Out", type text}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Products", each if Text.StartsWith([Components], "Prod") then [Components] else null),
    #"Filled Up" = Table.FillUp(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Products"}),
    #"Added Conditional Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filled Up", "Output", each if Text.StartsWith([Components], "Prod") then [Quantity] else null),
    #"Added Conditional Column2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column1", "Input", each if [Quantity] < 0 then [Quantity] else 0),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Added Conditional Column2",{"Endproduct_factory", "Components", "Quantity", "In/Out", "Products", "Input", "Output"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Input", type number}, {"Output", type number}}),
    #"Filled Up1" = Table.FillUp(#"Changed Type1",{"Output"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Up1", each not Text.StartsWith([Components], "Prod")),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Quantity", "In/Out"}),
    #"Reordered Columns1" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"Endproduct_factory", "Products", "Components", "Input", "Output"})
in
    #"Reordered Columns1"
HTH

Upvote 0
A little shorter:
VBA Code:
let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Endproduct_factory", type text}, {"Component A", Int64.Type}, {"Component B", Int64.Type}, {"Component C", Int64.Type}, {"Product1", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Filled Up" = Table.FillUp(#"Changed Type",{"Product1"}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Filled Up", {"Product1", "Endproduct_factory"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Inserted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Text Before Delimiter", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Endproduct_factory], "_"), type text),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Text Before Delimiter",{{"Text Before Delimiter", "Product"}, {"Product1", "Output"}, {"Value", "Input"}}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Endproduct_factory", "Product", "Attribute", "Input", "Output"})
in
    #"Reordered Columns"

Upvote 0
Hi Citizen, that works if you start with the table in post #3, you need the additional steps when you start at #1. That said you well make the point that there are always alternative solutions - its what I like about Excel.

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back