Change sheet reference in multiple cells (formulas)

jularobert

I have a worksheet ("Issues") with 264 cells, all formulated to point to a sheet named "2013new".
i.e. C3=IF('2013 new'!$G4="", "", IF(COUNTIF('2013 new'!$G4,"*No*"),"No","Yes"))
D3=IF('2013 new'!$G5="", "", IF(COUNTIF('2013 new'!$G5,"*No*"),"No","Yes"))

I have created a copy of the "Issues" worksheet and I would like all the formulas to point to a new sheet called 2014.

Basically I am trying to replace all the references in the 264 cells (all the formulas) from '2013new' to '2014' in one go (en mass).
Can this be achieved? The Replace under Find&Select menu allows only for one cell at the time. (I am using Excel 2010)

Thanking you in advance.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi Andrew
The issue is that for every cell (and I have 264) the find & replace (or replace all) takes me to the update values pop-up window. Excel is asking for the file location where the reference points, then is asking to chose the particular worksheet. Although I use "replace all" it only does it for one cell then the update values window comes up again for the next cell. Agreed, the replace all should replace all but it's not happening. Any ideas how to fix?
Thank you for all your help.

Upvote 0
It does. That's why I don't understand why replace all is not working.
Basically the workbook has a sheet name '2013 new' and one named 'issues'. The formula in 'issues' point to sheet '2013 new'. As I need the same set-up for 2014, I've copied the two worksheets and renamed them accordingly; the problem is that I am unable the mass change the worksheet reference for all the formulas in the new worksheet 'issues 201' to point to to '2014'.

Upvote 0
No, sorry. All correct there. As soon as I chose replace Excel opens the "update values" window rather than just replacing the text in the formula.

I wonder if this could be solved in VBA?

Thank you

Upvote 0
If you are getting the Update Values dialog the worksheet doesn't exist. Please post an existing formula and what you want it to be.

Upvote 0
This is the issue. Excel does not see the worksheet for some reason. But after going through Update Values dialog it does update the formula then moves to the next cell and the Update Value windows comes up again.

current formula:
C3=IF('2013 new'!$G4="", "", IF(COUNTIF('2013 new'!$G4,"*No*"),"No","Yes"))
would like to change to:
C3=IF('2014'!$G4="", "", IF(COUNTIF('2014'!$G4,"*No*"),"No","Yes"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back