Changed master file, now all 96 files that link to that won't work!

benhlhs

I have a master salary file I need 96 excel files to link to and look up data for those individual departments. Everything was fine, until I accidentally saved the master file as 2007 .xlsx. Now the file is named salary.xls.xlsx and all the links in the 96 files changed or updated to the new file name. The 96 files are still in 2003 and say the links are invalid.

I'd like to do a mass update of the links in the 96 files to the right master file without having to open them and update links, change the source file, etc. I've tried to open and resave the master salary file as 2003, but that didn't work. Any suggestions? This seems like it should be easy to do without all the painstaking work of updating each individual file.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
accidentally saved the master file as 2007 .xlsx

That should have still left the original in the original folder. I don't have 2007, so I can't be sure of that, but even if Excel did anythng to it, it probably would have only changed its extension from .xls to .orignal, or .bak, or something similar.

Do a Windows File search on the root drive for the original name without the extension. (.xls)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back