Changing source file 'cannot be found' error

seanrmckenna

Hi all,
I'm trying to update the links to a new file and Excel 2007 is saying "xxxxx file cannot be found. Please check your spelling or try a different path".
The file path is definitely correct. No folders have had their names changed etc.
The file was used a new user who has her network drive mapped slightly different to everyone else, but now when any of us try to update the links it doesn't work. That is not necessarily the cause but it's the only thing I can think of.
I've tried using 'Open source'.
I've tried opening the source file first and then the file I am trying to update.
None of those are working, either on the computer with a different mapping or on any of those with a 'normal' mapping.

Any way of getting the main file to recognise its source file again?

Thanks very much,
Sean

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Your suspicions are correct - if everyone at the office has their network drive mapped to Y:, and she has it mapped to X:. yes, it has the potential to screw up the links.

Best thing you can do is get her drives mapped like everyone else and possibly re-do the links in the file with the main network address instead of the mapped drives. I've dealt with this before and it is quite the female dog to deal with. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back