Chart error

Rasm

If you run the code below - it generates a chart - if you then click on one of the datapoints on the chart - you get MS Excel message - text too long - If I only chart 1000 datapoints - I get now error - but with 2K I do - any idea?

Code:
Public Sub AddChartX1()
    Dim NumCharts As Long
    Dim PlotCounter As Long
    Dim DataPtsInChart As Long
    Dim TempValues() As Single
    DataPtsInChart = 2000
    ReDim TempValues(1 To DataPtsInChart)
    For i = 1 To DataPtsInChart
        TempValues(i) = i
    Next i
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Add Left:=100, Top:=50, Width:=800, Height:=300
    NumCharts = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Count

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(NumCharts).Activate
    PlotCounter = 0
    Dim Achart As ChartObject
    Set Achart = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(NumCharts)

With Achart.Chart
        .ChartType = xlLineMarkers
        .SeriesCollection.NewSeries
        PlotCounter = PlotCounter + 1

.Axes(xlCategory).TickMarkSpacing = UBound(TempValues) / 60
        .Axes(xlCategory).TickLabelSpacing = UBound(TempValues) / 60

.SeriesCollection(PlotCounter).Values = Array(TempValues)

.SeriesCollection(PlotCounter).Border.LineStyle = xlHairline
        .SeriesCollection(PlotCounter).MarkerStyle = xlMarkerStyleNone

.HasLegend = False

End With
    Set Achart = Nothing

End Sub

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Can I ask why you aren't charting from a worksheet range?

Upvote 0
I cannot use a range statement as my string would be more than 255 characters long - I have appox 100K rows in my sheet and these are process data - so often I have to skip rows - say I only want to only chart product X - and we make that 6 times a day in runs of 20 minutes - but make other products in between - or we had a problem and I have to ignore 10 minuttes of data.

The 100K rows represents months of data - so I may have 200 Blocks of data - each with its own range - so I use an array to get them into a single SeriesCollection

Upvote 0
ohhh - the code example here is simply to show and troubleshoot the problem

Upvote 0
ohhh - the code example here is simply to show and troubleshoot the problem
Great.

Anyway, if you want to chart a subset of data, I would think that a simple Data Filter would give you what you want. Why exactly can't you do that?

Upvote 0
Glenn
I appreciate you inputs - but as I said - I may have 200 subsets of data - so it is no simple matter to create a filter - the 200 subsets are strung togeteher in one long array - so I can chart them as a single seriesCollection. For these 200 sets I also plot various parameters - some of which have cells <> vbNullString for all obersvations - some do not.

I definitely have to use arrays for this purpose - but as you can see arrays has some problems or what I perceive as a bug - but I am hoping I am wrong. The code here is simply to illustrate and reproduce the problem.

Upvote 0
You seem determined that you must use an array. I still think that putting your data into a worksheet range will solve all your problems, regardless of how it gets there. Will you even entertain the idea that this may be a solution? If so, then it's just a matter of populating a relevant range of cells ... maybe advanced filtering could do ... or even write them from your array.

Upvote 0
Glenn
Your persistence is much appreciated - but I am simply providing a XLAM file that is then used by my coworkers around the world. They make the worksheets manipulated by the XLAM file - the data stream is approx 17K measuremnts (rows) per week - the data has to be in chronological order as this is data representing productline data - my measurements is for 5-8 parameters (not including Date/time stamp, Measurement identifier, Status string, position number, Product code and production line) - that is before I do any moving averages and other manipulations to the data - which significantly expands the number of columns in my sheet. So sorry - But I need to use arrays.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back