check if a date falls within a specific month/year

Kmitchell

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm looking for a formula to help me define if a date falls within a specific month and year.

In column B sits the current month and year (December 2010 which will vary with each month). And in column G sits the termination date. I want to say if(g1 falls in the month and year as b1, then give me a 1, otherwise give me a 2. I have tried multiple formulas and I'm not getting it to work properly. Is it the dated if function?

Thanks Gerald, the formula works exactly as hoped for. I would like to combine into a nested if statement, as my data covers 4 fiscal years - is there a smarter way of doing this other than creating a humongus formula?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
If you are certain that all dates do actually fall within the 4 years, there are various options.

Nested IF is one option, for example . . .
=if(A1< [year 1 end date],"Year 1",if(A1< [year 2 end date],...and so on.

Another option would be a lookup table.
Specify the year start dates in a table, say in Col B, and your year code in Col C, and then
=vlookup(A1,B1:C4,2,true)

Upvote 0
Thanks again Gerald, will have a go at this tomorrow hopefully. Building my knowledge with the experts on this forum is fantastic!

Upvote 0
That solution worked perfectly Gerald. Thanks
I now want to use these results (now a named range "Year1"along with the name of the individual (named range "Names") and take a figure from another column and show this figure under the relevant year column (columns for 2013/14 through 2018/19). Note that each name will have a figure relating to most years. Hopefully you can follow and advise an appropriate formula to summarise the data. I'm thinking index and match but getting a bit lost. Thanks

Upvote 0
Glad you got it working, but which one of my two suggestions did you go with ?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean in your follow up question.

Upvote 0
I went with the Lookup solution - very convenient!
Per below, I now want to look for the name from a defined range, check the year associated with the first entry and then take that figue and put it into the second table. I will then replicate this formula to check for any amounts in the following year. Hope this helps clarify what I am seeking to do.
Data table
Name 1 2015/16 4.1
Name 2 2014/15 1.0
Name 3 2015/16 2.5
Name 1 2016/17 3.1
Name 3 2017/18 1.5
Result table
Each row will be pre-fixed with the individuals name and then the years should populate as shown.
2014/15 2015/16 2016/17 2017/18
N1 0.0 4.1 3.1 0.0
N2 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
N3 0.0 2.5 0.0 1.5

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back