Check if cell contents match items in a list

rilzniak

I've tried to utilize ChatGPT and Google Gemini but the results just aren't what I'm looking for. I'm close, but just not sure how to tweak the formula to resolve my issue.

I have two tables: T1 and T2. In T2 I have a list of "cleaned" item numbers. In T1 I have a list of item numbers with additional characters - the number of characters will vary - before and/or after the item number. I want to use PQ to look in T2 to see if any of the results match what exists in T1 and add a column with that information if there is a match. Here's an example:

1712933197023.png

The result the engines give me is:
Excel Formula:
 = List.Count(List.Intersect(Text.ToList([ItemNumber]), Text.ToList(Text.Combine(T2[CleanedItemNumber])))) > 0
This results in an error saying that the data is not in a list format. I believe the issue is related to the List.Count and List.Intersect functions but I'm not sure how to correct. Any suggestions on how I can resolve this?

Hi Rilzniak,

Better way.

Power Query:
let
    T1 = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    T2 = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],
    Result = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Table.AddColumn(T1, "Custom", each let x = Record.Field(_,Table.ColumnNames(T1){0}) in
    Table.SelectRows(T2, each Text.Contains(x, Record.Field(_, Table.ColumnNames(T2){0})))), "Custom",Table.ColumnNames(T2))
in
    Result

Regards,
Thanks. I'm curious, aside from the code being shorter, what makes this a better way of writing the statements?

Also, my plans for the file design have changed and I'm looking to incorporate these statements into an already-existing table. I've tried to append it to the end of what I've already got, but I believe I'm erring regarding the column name references. Here is the existing:
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents(fPur), null, true),
    report1710258494169_Sheet = Source{[Item="report1710258494169",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(report1710258494169_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"C1", type text}, {"C2", type text}, {"C3", Int64.Type}, {"C4", type date}, {"C5", type text}, {"C6", type number}, {"C7", type number}, {"C8", type number}, {"C9", type text}, {"C10", type date}, {"C11", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

And I'd like to modify what you had written and append it to the bottom.

Power Query:
let
    T1 = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    T2 = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],
    Result = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Table.AddColumn(T1, "Custom", each let x = Record.Field(_,Table.ColumnNames(T1){0}) in 
    Table.SelectRows(T2, each Text.Contains(x, Record.Field(_, Table.ColumnNames(T2){0})))), "Custom",Table.ColumnNames(T2))
in
    Result
T1 is the existing table and T2 is the table containing the 'Cleaned' and 'Style' data. My guess is that I need to modify
Power Query:
Table.ColumnNames(T1){0}
and
Power Query:
Table.ColumnNames(T2){0}
but I haven't had any luck with my attempts. Suggestions?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Hi Roczniak,

In my example, T1 and T2 are query steps - not the tables name (Table1 and Table2).

You only have to adjust names accordingly.

Regards,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back