Check if new workbook was created

BrianDMiller

I have a code that opens a new workbook and pastes into it from another workbook. I have several workbooks that will use this code so what I want to do is be able is have excel see if the new workbook (which is unsaved and only a temporary holding place to compile data from multiple workbooks) is already open and paste the data at the end of the existing workbook rather than creating another new workbook. Since I'm not saving it I can't tell it to look for a specific file path/name. It has to work w/o saving. So it boils down to how can i have excel check if NSRReport is open?
Code:
Set NSRReport = Workbooks.Add()
Set sh2 = NSRReport.Sheets("Sheet1")
Set sh3 = G_Report
lastrow2 = sh3.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

sh3.Range("A1:I1").Copy
sh2.Range("A1").PasteSpecial

sh3.Range("A1:A3001").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="<>"
sh3.Range("A2:I" & lastrow2).Copy
sh2.Range("A2").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
sh2.Columns("A:I").AutoFit
Brian

Last edited:
ok so i've basically taken your idea of having an NSR template but i've done it slightly different. the code is still on the user workbook because i want the versatility of the user being able to create an NSR report for just their tracker and the manager to be able to complile all 10. the main difference now is that instead of opening a new blank workbook and calling it NSR report, it's opening a template so I have a consistent file to refer to. so the goal is about the same, if the NSR template is not open then open it and copy data to the next blank row. if it is already open, copy the data to the open template. it works with one small exception. if the template is not open, it opens it and then gives me a run-time error '91': object variable or With block variable not set and doesn't copy the data. i can choose "end" and then run it again and it copies data. i can close it and open the next tracker and it will paste the data to the open template. just need to get past the error on the first iteration.
Code:
Set sh2 = G_Report
lastrow2 = sh2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Dim RT As Workbook
    On Error Resume Next
    Set RT = Workbooks("NSR_Template.xlsm")
        If RT Is Nothing Then
                Workbooks.Open ("S:\Registrar\New Start Scheduling Team\New Start Scheduling Trackers\NSR_Template.xlsm")
        End If
    On Error GoTo 0
    'copy data to NSRReport
    Set sh3 = RT.Sheets("Sheet1")
    nextrow = sh3.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1
    sh2.Range("A1:A3001").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="<>"
    sh2.Range("A2:J" & lastrow2).Copy
    sh3.Range("A" & nextrow).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
    sh3.Columns("A:J").AutoFit

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
You're getting close.

Code:
    [color=darkblue]Set[/color] RT = Workbooks("NSR_Template.xlsm")
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] RT [color=darkblue]Is[/color] [color=darkblue]Nothing[/color] [color=darkblue]Then[/color]
           [color=red]Set RT =[/color] Workbooks.Open("S:\Registrar\New Start Scheduling Team\New Start Scheduling Trackers\NSR_Template.xlsm")
    [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]
    [color=darkblue]On[/color] [color=darkblue]Error[/color] [color=darkblue]GoTo[/color] 0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back