Checking just a range not the whole row

mloucel

I need to check ONLY a certain range of columns to be empty and display a message to the End user so he can correct the problem

this is the code I have so far, it works but not the way I want..

Code:
    Set TestInRange = Intersect(Target, Range("F2:F1500, G2:G1500, H2:H1500, I2:I1500, I2:I1500, J2:J1500, K2:K1500, L2:L1500, M2:M1500, N2:N1500, O2:O1500, P2:P1500"))

If Len(Cells(Target.Row, "R")) <> 0 Then  ' IF the user is in R is R empty or does it have Data ?
        If TestInRange Is Nothing Then            ' IF R has Data then, is there any cell in my TestInRange that is empty ?
            WhereIAm = Target.Row
            MsgBox "THERE ARE IMPORTANT CELLS LEFT EMPTY " & vbCrLf & "" _
            & vbCrLf & "YOU MUST Fill these cells:" _
            & vbCrLf & "" _
            & vbCrLf & "Patient Last or First Name,DOB, Chart Number, Phone Number," _
            & vbCrLf & "IPA, Health Plan, Diagnosis, Referred to or Referral by Doctor," _
            & vbCrLf & "(ONE OR MORE THAN ONE) is/are Empty." _
            & vbCrLf & " " _
            & vbCrLf & "Please go back and re-enter the values...", _
            vbCritical, "Validation NOT PASSED..."

' Forcing the User to go to DATE CELL
            ActiveCell.Offset(-1, -12).Select        
            '
        End If
   End If

PROBLEM:

Not only checks for the specific Columns but for the WHOLE Row the user is at that moment, so if there are empty cells after P the message displays again, which is not what I want, I'm fairly new and I have tried some other things to no avail.. I know my logic is somewhat correct but I just don't know enough code to figure out what instruction should I use to get my objective.

Please Gurus can you lend a hand..

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I need to check ONLY a certain range of columns to be empty and display a message to the End user so he can correct the problem

this is the code I have so far, it works but not the way I want..

Code:
    Set TestInRange = Intersect(Target, Range("F2:F1500, G2:G1500, H2:H1500, I2:I1500, I2:I1500, J2:J1500, K2:K1500, L2:L1500, M2:M1500, N2:N1500, O2:O1500, P2:P1500"))

If Len(Cells(Target.Row, "R")) <> 0 Then  ' IF the user is in R is R empty or does it have Data ?
        If TestInRange Is Nothing Then            ' IF R has Data then, is there any cell in my TestInRange that is empty ?
            WhereIAm = Target.Row
            & vbCrLf & "" _
            & vbCrLf & " " _

'
        End If
   End If

PROBLEM:

Not only checks for the specific Columns but for the WHOLE Row the user is at that moment, so if there are empty cells after P the message displays again, which is not what I want, I'm fairly new and I have tried some other things to no avail.. I know my logic is somewhat correct but I just don't know enough code to figure out what instruction should I use to get my objective.

Please Gurus can you lend a hand..

Thanks.

something like this might work

Code:
Dim rng As Range
Dim lngF As Long, lngCOL As Long

Set rng = Range(.Cells(2, 6), .Cells(1500, 16))
    lngCOL = rng.Find("").Column
    If lngCOL > 0 Then          ' IF R has Data then, is there any cell in my TestInRange that is empty ?
        WhereIAm = Target.Row
            & vbCrLf & "" _
            & vbCrLf & " " _

End If
End If

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mr. RCBricker

I'm very grateful, I am really new to vba programming, there are many thousands of tricks I need to learn,
I usually go line by line trying to understand what the code does and how can I apply that in the future of mix that with something else to create a new piece.
I was a bit confused here:
Set rng = Range(cells(2, 6), cells(1500,16))
(I had to take the (.) out of the formula it was giving me an error:
Compile Error:
Invalid or unqualified reference

But I understood what the next line is doing (
lngCOL = rng.Find("").Column) I have never seen it used like that, but I knew it looks for the first empty cell within a column so the line in question should be position me in Column R somehow, those two lines are a bit tricky (FOR ME) and they are way beyond what I know, but they are a challenge for me to learn
I am going to investigate a bit further about how the Range and Cell commands work, maybe that would make my life easier.

I appreciate your kind answer and help and I am forever thankful.

You are a real master GURU in my eyes.

Sincerely;

Maurice.

Upvote 0
I just placed that into the production worksheet and when it checks for empty cells within my range (Fn to Pn) where n = any cell number from 2 to 1500, this is my test range " Set TestInRange = Intersect(Range("F2:P1500"), Target) "

I am guessing here.... But I believe is checking cols A thru E ?? because those are the only ones are empty allways, they just keep a color switch i use, I might be wrong??
Do you mind giving me an insight on this code Set rng = Range(cells(2, 6), cells(1500,16)), it seems like my issue is here but I simply do not understand the line..

Thanks..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back