Circular References Error Message Started Popping Up

JeffGrant

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All, for no apparent reason, excel has started throwing up a circular reference message

1701648109689.png

I can not find any circular references. The Formulas-> Error Checking -> Circular References is greyed out on all sheets. I have done an Open & Repair and changed to a new copy of the workbook. I use M-Z Tools to clean my vba code.

Any Ideas?

Thank in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Generally a message is conveyed with some cell address on lower left corner of status bar of excel if you initiate 'Calculate'

But honestly that is just a starting point to find which formula may be causing the circular reference.
And what I can understand is that you don't remember the last formula you created or modified - Mostly that is the first culprit to check for...
If you remember, try to remove that formula and then re-initiate 'Calculate' to test if things have worked for you or not.

Open and repair thing, to best of my knowledge can't remove/break circular references, as most of them are in the formulae which we populate.

Upvote 0
Hi @Alex Blakenburg
I tried using the VBA on the link you mentioned. For some reason my file went to some endless journey and I have to FORCE Stop Excel.

Just for your understanding my file had no Circular Reference. I just thought of giving it a try...

Any particular reason for this thing happening or does it actually takes so long checking?

Thanks a lot

Upvote 0
Hi @Alex Blakenburg
I tried using the VBA on the link you mentioned. For some reason my file went to some endless journey and I have to FORCE Stop Excel.

Just for your understanding my file had no Circular Reference. I just thought of giving it a try...

Any particular reason for this thing happening or does it actually takes so long checking?

Thanks a lot
I must admit I have not tried it on a larger data set. It does read every cell in the used range of the sheet and does an intersect between that cell and the precedents of that cell so I can imagine that it would not be quick.

Upvote 0
If you have access to the excel enterprise edition through your employer, you will most likely have access to the COM Add-In Inquire, you just need to turn it on.

It should be able to identify all the circular references through its analyse function

Upvote 0
Hi All, thanks for all your suggestions. But today..No circular reference message popping up. An odd one for sure.

Upvote 0
I haven't tested it but did you perhaps have another workbook open that did have circular references ?
Also you didn't change the iteration setting did you ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back