Closing time

sneel3

I have an 80 MB excel file that only takes about 15 seconds to save, but takes almost 10 minutes to close. It takes bout 3-4 minutes to open. Any idea why it closes so slowly? What can I do to speed it up?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Try selecting all of the cells that are blank (through the entire worksheet - or worksheet by worksheet in a large workbook) and right-click on one of the selected cells and click "Clear Contents". More than likely if you clear the contents of your 'blank' cells, your worksheet size will decrease dramatically. Sometimes your cell formatting can get a little out of control with a wrong click or two, which causes formatting to be applied to the entire columns/rows instead of just the ones you want formatted.

Upvote 0
I have already made sure that the formatting does not spill into unused cells and I just cleared contents on all blank cells. The file is still the same size. My concern is that it takes so long to close. I keep having this nagging feeling that the file is partially corrupt and will crash at some point. Any other ideas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back