Clueless, inventory quick search

Clueless401

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
i started using excel at my current new employment. I got to say that i am quickly become a little obsessed in learning more!

Right now i am creating an inventory list with shelves named by alphabet and number of shelves. ex: A1,A2,A3 and so on.

Every letter has its own tab, containing the part ID number and QTY.

Is there a way that i can search all tabs by part ID for quick access?

Would appriciate the help, i have been trying to learn as much as possible through youtube and i found this site through a pod cast.

Attachments

• inv pic.PNG
    inv pic.PNG
    60.5 KB · Views: 21

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Welcome to MrExcel.

If you illustrate with XL2BB, actual data could be used in an example rather than trying to recreate your Part IDs.

I put the name of the sheets in column D and created a name range called MySheets.
Then, in A2, I put the Part ID I'm trying to find.
In B2 I put this array formula (CTRL+Shift+Enter) which unfortunately uses a volatile function called INDIRECT.
But, it seems to work. It'll be slow if there are lots of sheets and rows.

This formula returns the 3rd column (Quantity) where the 2nd column (Part ID) matches A2.

Code:
=VLOOKUP($A2, INDIRECT("'"&INDEX(MySheets, MATCH(1, --(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"& MySheets&"'!$B$1:$B$10"), $A2)>0), 0)) &"'!$B$1:$C$10"), 2, FALSE)

Upvote 0
Hi Clueless401,

I'd actually change the design and have one data sheet with all locations.

A problem with multiple sheets is that only a few functions work across 3D: Microsoft 3D functions

You don't say what you want to do but here's an example Data and Main. The Main shows how to jump to the first Location for a selected letter, to count how many there are of that letter and to list all Locations starting with that letter.

Clueless401.xlsx
AB
1-Location-Value
2A22
3A42
4A61
6C12
7C622
8C812
9X39
10X418
Data

Clueless401.xlsx
ABC
1Jump to:CLocation C
3Count:3
5List:LocationValue
6C12
7C622
8C812
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1C1=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1&"*",Data!A:A,0)),"No Location "&B1,HYPERLINK("#"&ADDRESS(MATCH(B1&"*",Data!A:A,0),1,,,"Data"),"Location "&B1))
B3B3=COUNTIF(Data!A:A,B1&"*")
B6:C10B6=IF(ROW()-ROW(B$5)>$B$3,"",INDEX(Data!A$2:A$10000,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$10000)-ROW(Data!$A$1)/(LEFT(Data!$A$2:$A$10000,1)=$B$1),ROW()-ROW(B$5))))
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B1ListA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z

Upvote 0
Hi Clueless401,

I'd actually change the design and have one data sheet with all locations.

A problem with multiple sheets is that only a few functions work across 3D: Microsoft 3D functions

You don't say what you want to do but here's an example Data and Main. The Main shows how to jump to the first Location for a selected letter, to count how many there are of that letter and to list all Locations starting with that letter.

Clueless401.xlsx
AB
1-Location-Value
2A22
3A42
4A61
6C12
7C622
8C812
9X39
10X418
Data

Clueless401.xlsx
ABC
1Jump to:CLocation C
3Count:3
5List:LocationValue
6C12
7C622
8C812
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1C1=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1&"*",Data!A:A,0)),"No Location "&B1,HYPERLINK("#"&ADDRESS(MATCH(B1&"*",Data!A:A,0),1,,,"Data"),"Location "&B1))
B3B3=COUNTIF(Data!A:A,B1&"*")
B6:C10B6=IF(ROW()-ROW(B$5)>$B$3,"",INDEX(Data!A$2:A$10000,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Data!$A$2:$A$10000)-ROW(Data!$A$1)/(LEFT(Data!$A$2:$A$10000,1)=$B$1),ROW()-ROW(B$5))))
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B1ListA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z
Thank you, im realizing that im in trouble. IDK anything! i will try and implement this.

Upvote 0
Thank you, im realizing that im in trouble. IDK anything! i will try and implement this.
You're welcome!

I'm pleased to see your key fields begin with an alpha so you'll avoid the old challenge of trying to match alpha and numeric... and I hope you can see how easy it would be to modify the List formula to give all Locations for a Product, even across Location letters, if they're all on one sheet.

Before you get much further I really would make a list of the functions you want to perform and what data you'll need to drive them as an hour on design will save 10+ hours on making changes later.

e.g. if you need a FIFO system as your Products have a shelf life then you'll need date into stock (maybe from an Orders sheet?). If your Locations have size/weight limits (such as racks) then maybe you also need a Product sheet to retrieve dimensions/weight and some kind of Location specifications for size/weight limits.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back